iCloud user ID (me.com address) question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by johnray10, Oct 11, 2011.

1. johnray10 macrumors member

let me start off by saying i am a current MobileMe subscriber.

with that said, i no longer use the service whatsoever. my me.com address somehow got into some kind of junk email web and i receive so much junk through that address that it makes it unbearable. i have talked to apple support and tried many options to get rid of all this junk, but nothing works. it wouldn't a big deal, but the me.com server, or whatever controls it, isn't smart enough to sort them into junk correctly. i always have like at least 10 emails a day that are pure junk and its frustrating to have to move and delete all those pointless messages everyday, so i stopped using it completely.

my question is if i recover that me.com id for iCloud, will i continue to receive the junk? (iCloud includes a free email, correct?) or will it be some kind of new server or something? my guess is that i will continue to receive it since its the same address. if thats so, how do you go about making a new me.com address for when iCloud, iOS5 and the iPhone 4S are released? can you do it yet or do we have to wait?

2. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

If you have an iOS device running iOS 5 beta or if by chance you had the iP4S you can create an account from your device.

As far as recovering your account it depends.

Typically, when an account is deactivated mail sent to it fails. Usually after a period of time that email address will drop off "most" junk mail lists due to the failures they'll receive when contacting you. If you reactivate. For the most part it should act as a new address.

However, I've found the Mac spam filter to be the best.

I receive a high volume of email and I get virtually no spam.

3. johnray10 thread starter macrumors member

ok, so you think i should deactivate my MobileMe address for a while? how do i even do that? i just threw an auto-reply on there saying i won't be using it anymore and directed them to my gmail account.

i use mail on my mac as well, and i do love it. it works great and my spam works very well with my gmail account through mail. for whatever reason it just can't filter out this junk i receive through my MobileMe though. its some kind of advanced junk mail web or something. every message comes from a new email address either through hotmail or aol, so i think thats where it outsmarts the mail filter. ill attach an example.. apple support told me to forward all of the messages as attachments to spam@me and to aol and hot mails abuse addresses. i did that for a few months and it didn't slow it down at all, which is when i got fed up and just stopped using it altogether.

the attachments are examples of the spam i get. two totally different emails with gibberish in the body. receive these all throughout the day. the spam filter catches about 1/4 of them.

Attached Files:

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I used to use it as a subscriber, with my domain email tied to it. Forwarded to it, and then an alias configured to send as my domain email.

Spam filtering was great.

But I use Google Apps now. Apple has driven me away by stripping too many features from the MobileMe->iCloud transition.

5. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I understand your position completely. Mine is quite similar. After well over a year with MM, if not for the outages partial, or otherwise and misc issues with MobileMe in the past, I would have a bit more confidence is the iCloud project. But I just don't.

I resisted for a long time, then six months ago dove into Google Apps and have been very happy. I wish I could say that about Apple, I really do.

Perhaps once they are up and running they will debug it to the point where I find it worthwhile.

Who knows at this point, only time will tell :)

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I struggled with Google Apps at first
    - I hate how google apps don't sync drafts
    - I hate how you can't server search
    - The label system was hard to adapt to, but now I love it, and I couldn't go back to folders.
    - I despise how I am merely a product Google peddles to their real customers, unlike Apple where I am the customer.

But I won't be going back, several from family have jumped onto my domain account on google apps, calendar and doc shares. And doesn't effect iCloud storage usage.