General iCloud v Computer back-up

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by cappers, Jul 30, 2013.

1. cappers macrumors member

Can anyone advise the difference of what is exactly backed up/not backed up. I understand there is a difference, but not sure what.
    I currently back up to my laptop and thinking of going to cloud, but want to be sure should I have to re-install

Thanks for any help

2. ajay96 macrumors 6502

I just prefer iCloud mainly because you can backup your phone on the go. I believe they both backup the same amount of info.

3. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

The description on iTunes says iCloud backs up important data and iTunes backs up all. Never seen more details but that does seem to indicate a difference
    I do both automatic iCloud and manual with my computer

4. iRock1 macrumors 6502a

iRock1

Considering the recent news about the American government and some nasty companies (Apple included), I would evaluate moving the other way around: from cloud to local backup.

5. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

So all that are concerned about this. Do you not use google or facebook? They are only they ate only in business to collect your data. Do,you think on an android phone google isn't collecting all that stuff about you. I trust the govern,net more than facebook

6. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Personally, I never use the cloud. I use HDD's because I like to know exactly where my data is stored. :)

7. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

iCloud v Computer back-up

iCloud:
    - faster to backup on the go
    -Can setup apple device at an apple store
    PC:
    -Stored on a hard drive which could crash.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5262

8. vahighland macrumors member

Isn't the iCloud storage very limited unless you're willing to pay more.

9. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

It backs up everything. If you backup your camera roll it takes up most of the space. I backup my iPhone and iPod touch on the 5GB free plan.

10. DarkJaye macrumors member

The nice thing about PC backup is that if you encrypt it, the keychain is backed up and can be restored on new devices. I always restore via my encrypted PC backup so I never need to re-enter all my email/wifi/other passwords.

11. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I still back up on both - iCloud every night and computer occasionally. I'm not trying to disagree with others but on iTunes it says an iCloud back up backs up important information and an iTunes backs up all and if you secure it backs up passwords. I'd love to know details of differences.

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If there is a difference, I can't tell. An iOS device restored from iCloud behaves exactly the same as one that is restored from an iTunes backup.

Restoring from iTunes is much faster, but to create a backup, you have to hook up to iTunes. As other posters have mentioned, I believe the best practice is to backup to both -- just set your device to backup to iCloud, then whenever you connect to iTunes, create a manual backup by clicking the "backup now" button.

13. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

iCloud v Computer back-up

Does iTunes backup auto download all the apps that was in the backup? I know iCloud does that.

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It syncs the apps from your computer, rather than downloading them again, which is why restoring from iTunes is faster than restoring from iCloud.

15. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I don't store the apps on my computer. That's why I am asking if it downloads the apps from the App Store automatically. Can some one answer my question?

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It doesn't. You need to transfer the apps to your computer first. You can do this easily while making your backup -- just right click on your device in iTunes and select "transfer purchases."

17. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Well in that cause I am sticking with iCloud restore because it does download the apps automatically.