iCloud v Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by immamac, Aug 29, 2011.

1. immamac macrumors newbie

i posted this in the iCloud forum but maybe someone with a timecapsule could shed some light on this for me. thxx ahead..

so from what i gather is iCloud similar to Time Capsule but with a lot more features and less space? sorry new to mac.....If I was planning on purchasing a time capsule should i just wait instead for iCloud?

2. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

Personally i don't like the cloud idea for computing. For one the risk to apple's servers what happens if they upgrade or you are in an area of the country that has no broadband internet to access you content. i remember the fiasco that microsoft had with danger with the sidekick user info when they did a upgrade i dont trust anything that store my stuff that i cant store myself on my own drives in a sense

3. DockMac macrumors regular

I don't think it is iCloud vs. Time Capsule, moreso, it's iCloud AND Time Capsule.

Time Capsule is used for backups. iCloud "syncs" all of your devices. One of those "devices" is the cloud itself.

4. immamac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx jones. Valid point. I also heard some time capsule break down after 18m which had me a little iffy

5. immamac thread starter macrumors newbie

@doc Thx Looks like I need to do some more homework on icloud.

6. jpl6 macrumors member

Time Capsule is a way to have a full "local" backup of all your content, files, settings, etc. through Time Machine or however you choose to do your backup.

iCloud is a way to sync all your content (music, apps, certain files of certain programs). However, my opinion is that iCloud will not allow for full backups of everything you have on a computer. Certain content that it supports, yes; but not a backup of everything.

---

By the way, if you're looking for an online backup solution as an alternative to the Time Capsule, there are several existing subscription services.

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Some of the original, first generation Time Capsules had power supply issues that seemed to go bad in the 12-18 month range. Long since resolved. I have a 1st gen unit that is still going strong, so it wasn't all of them.

8. immamac thread starter macrumors newbie

@ jp/xray. Thanks for your input. I think you have answered my questions. Much appreciated.