iCloud - Video sync?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EddyP, Jun 6, 2011.

1. EddyP macrumors 6502

All I heard/read about iCloud/iTunes and syncing was related to music. What about video?

I assume that will have to be done "the old fashioned way"? Or did I miss something?

Hopefully I can at least set it to sync via wifi. That would be helpful.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yes, I am certain it won't happen over Apple's iCloud servers.

But I would like for it to sync over my home network while I sleep and my phone's plugged in.

I don't think they said one way or the other today, though, so we don't know yet.

3. Krandor macrumors 6502

They did mention briefly wireless syncing to iTunes at home. That to me was the part that sounded the most interesting to me.

I have a 32G iPhone and a 64G iPad. Both are full. So I use a lot of Smart Playlists to manage and rotate music and videos in and out. The Amazon and Google services where you have to upload your stuff and Amazon is 20Gig max and we don't know capacity of Google, but to me useful for me the storage would have to me more then my deivces hold go 100G plus which I just don't see.

So being able to sync my smart playlists (and get new podcasts) over WiFi is a huge deal for me. We will likely learn more about this when people start using the beta later today.

4. Tones2 macrumors 65816

I doubt it will ever cover video, as most people would NOT want all their large video files video automatically pushed to their limited capacity devices. And since iCloud doesn't do streaming, there's probably noy any other advantage. And you won't see this anytime in the near future on iTunes match.

Tony

5. EddyP thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree.

I guess I was hoping to see more about wireless syncing in general (cloud or not).

Patience, patience, patience.

6. Tones2 macrumors 65816

Although I would bet you would need to have the syncing computer on AND have iTunes running, then trigger each device individually to sync, you the avantage of wifi syncwoukd just be not having to plug the device physically, which is pretty small.

Tony

7. shandyman Suspended

They said wifi syncing will sync your music, photos and videos, so assuming that's local wifi only, now whether this will include apps, such as VLC, etc syncing over wifi will be a question i would like an answer to!

8. EddyP thread starter macrumors 6502

I would like the wifi sync just to keep multiple computers synced up. Not as much for the devices.

9. Krandor macrumors 6502

I disagree. I have an Iphone and an Ipad and while I would like to keep them better synced they do not get synced as often as I would like. However, they are in my house everyday to charge and if while they are sitting there charging they could keep themselves up to date automatically that would be great.

From the way it was mentioned you would not have to do anything on the device. I am sure you would need iTunes running but I heard no indication of having to trigger it from the device. It was stated as "while you are sleeping, it will find iTunes and sync itself automatically".

The iPhone isn't bad since I can plug it into the computer to charge and sync, but the iPad does not charge well from a computer so needs to be plugged into an outlet. So it being able to sync while charging is a great improvement.