Icloud vs Dropbox

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by speekez, Dec 23, 2012.

1. speekez macrumors 6502

Hello. I own a 16gb iPhone and 16gb ipad. I am currently using only the allotted free 5gb from iCloud. I know apps, iTunes purchased movies and music do not count toward the 5 gb of storage. So really the bulk of what is being stored there are the backups of camera roll, app data, and any music or movies I may upload to my two devices not purchased from iTunes. Since the combined size of my two devices is 32gb, and for the sake of argument lets say apps and iOS take up a combined 16gb n my devices, that leaves about 16gb of combined space/data in need of iCloud backup. The 15gb of total icloud storage from apple for $20/yr fits about that.

My first question is why would I ever want to buy more iCloud storage than data space available on my combined devices? I imagine I wouldn't?

Secondly this iCloud storage only seems good for backups so I can't control the content like Dropbox cloud space. You can't store any data on iCloud that's at least not on one of your devices. I read one review that suggested buying a 16gb iPhone and then purchase additional iCloud space for more storage, but that doesn't make sense to me because again the iCloud storage only seems good for mirroring/storing copies of what's already on your devices vs. being a storage place you can store unique data to and grab when needed like Dropbox.

Am I missing something or I am pretty much understanding things right?

2. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

We just use it for backups. Everything else goes into Dropbox.