iCloud vs Google Drive; which do you use??

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by marc55, Apr 18, 2019.

1. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

iCloud is convenient, but I hate the the following:

1. Files are no longer on the desktop; they're in the iCloud folder. I like the ability to access files with one click, instead of having to go to the iCloud folder, then click on the file I want

2. I really hate the fact that you cannot share folders, only individual files.

I liked Dropbox, but since they limited it to only 3 devices, it's no longer an option; additionally, the 2GB is no longer useful, as I'm up to 4GB in files. I don't store pictures or music.

So, is Google Drive any easier to use? or can you recommend something else?

Thank you
    m

2. chabig macrumors 603

3. pshufd macrumors 6502a

I use iCloud. I just open the folder if I want to do things with documents. I suppose that it might be nice to add them to the desktop but they are a different directory from the desktop and it might be confusing as to whether or not you're working with desktop files or iCloud files.

4. mrex macrumors 68040

mrex

5. dmk1974 macrumors 68020

dmk1974

If you want a 3rd option, I've been using Microsoft OneDrive across my Macs, iPad, and iPhone for a couple years. 365 Family plan can often be found for $50-$60 which covers up to 5 users for 1 year and EACH person gets 1 TB storage. The office apps are good, but mainly pay for the OneDrive backup.

6. Vlad Soare macrumors member

Vlad Soare

I use both.
    As for opening files, nothing beats Spotlight. I rarely bother opening Finder and navigating to the destination folder. Most of the times I just press Ctrl-Space and type a few letters of the file or folder name, and that's it. Works like a charm.

7. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

Primarily icloud. I used it to back up all my devices (iPhone, 2 x ipad, MacBook). I also use icloud drive for file management.

I do pay for the lowest google drive plan, simply as a secondary back up for my MacBook, but otherwise I don't use it.

8. NoBoMac macrumors 68020

All of them.

Short answer, if one service is down, yeah, might be inconvenient, but not totally knocked offline.

iCloud: Contacts, Calendar/Reminders, Keychain, Safari, Notes, Messages, News, the odd app that uses it for syncing across devices.
    Google: grandfathered $5/yr plan, so, encrypted file archive for important stuff, photo sharing, email.
    Dropbox: day-to-day files (but nothing sensitive: recipe files, odd spreadsheet/word-processing doc, etc), odd app that uses it for syncing across devices.
    Box: quarterly rsync of Dropbox.
    Amazon: Same encrypted files as in GDrive, plus photo archive
    OneDrive: Again, the encrypted files

Add in TimeMachine backups (2x drives), manual copying to external drives once a month, quarterly copy to cloud accounts, clone of the internal drive once a month (across alternating drives), pretty well covered for data loss. And have found that most of my stuff I do not need away from home or need to send to someone NOW, so, not filling up either of the services, can wait until I get home to pull/send from the laptop. Or external drive. Or TimeMachine. Or...

9. nouveau_redneck macrumors 6502

I like your backup coverage - thorough.

What method do you use to encrypt files before sending to cloud storage? Something like Arq backup or macOS encrypted images?

10. Lee_Bo macrumors regular

Lee_Bo

11. NoBoMac macrumors 68020

Nothing fancy. My important stuff is well organized under a folder, so, just make a .zip file of the sub-folder structure there, then pass that file to a 7z encryption/archiver program (in my case, Keka). 7z and zip being pretty much universal, can relatively easily pull down to most computing platforms and recover info if a major disaster strikes the Mac, external drives, TimeMachine copies, etc.

12. MisterSavage macrumors 6502a

MisterSavage

I'm really careful about keeping my credit card info up to date because I don't want to lose than grandfathered plan!