iCloud - what happens when I make a mistake

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by dknightd, Nov 1, 2011.

1. dknightd macrumors 6502

I like the concept of iCloud. It should make it easy for me to sync two macs and a phone. In the past I always had to be careful where I made changes, and to manually make the changes propagate to the right place.

Now I can make changes anywhere, and they get updated in the all the other places.

But what if I make a mistake and accidentally delete something I need - now it will automatically be deleted in all places. In the past this was no big worry - I have time machine backups on both macs, so, can usually recover from a local mistake, or I can use what is stored on another device to recover. But now if I make a mistake it changes all locations.

Lets say I accidentally delete all addresses on iphone - can I still use timemachine backups on mac to repopulate the iCloud?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Yes.

3. dknightd thread starter macrumors 6502

Great. Do you know what the proper procedure would be?
    Is it online someplace? I think I'd like to test this before I go too much further with this. Thanks.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

[​IMG]

Wouldn't you just open up your Address Book and initiate Time Machine,

Select the date, select your contacts and click Restore.

5. dknightd thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't know you could access time machine via an app. I've always done it from the finder - cool - doesn't work with all apps though.

So I've tried adding a dummy entry - making a new time machine backup - deleting my dummy entry - then restoring from timemachine.

I've had mixed success. Sometimes the dummy entry reappears, as it should. Sometimes the erased record shows up for a second, then gets deleted - almost as if iCloud is updating (deleting) it again.

Some more experimentation is required before I trust this fully. . .