iCloud

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by v2club, Nov 18, 2011.

1. v2club macrumors regular

I know that there is separate section for iCloud, but no one had replayed my questions there that is why I've posted them here.

1. How do I upload documents from my Mac (I do not have an iOS device)

2. Since iCloud backs up my: music and messages can I see them online? I mean can I read my messages online from my Mac and listen to the music also online from my Mac?

2. jameslmoser macrumors 6502

If you don't have an iOS device, I don't really see the point of iCloud. Are you using multiple macs or macs and PCs? I guess iCloud is suppose to sync contacts to PCs as well so that might be a reason to use it, but there are other solutions.

For files, personally I use Dropbox., have you tried it. It lets you see your stuff online, and you can even restore it to your computer if you deleted it. Apple wanted to buy Dropbox... its what iCloud should have been like for documents, but filesystems are apparently too confusing for most people.

3. waynep macrumors 6502

iCloud won't sync documents with Macs . . . yet. Hopefully someday. You have to upload them at iCloud.com. Even then, if you don't have a IOS version of an iWork app, it won't let you as there is no point. iCloud is not a backup service.

The iTunes online as I currently understand it, allows you to re-download music. It's not a streaming service.

Basically your content still needs to be on your devices. It will sync new items to other devices. So if you buy a new song on iTunes, it should put it on all your Apple devices that have iCloud enabled.

So for me, at this point, I don't have a use for iCloud other than the Find My Mac and iPod service. I have those enabled, nothing else. I don't have iWork's app on my iPod nor do I have a iPad yet.