.icns files broken

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jelite, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Jelite macrumors 6502a

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

There's nothing wrong with your screenshot; an icns file is just an icon image file. The top left corner of the "get info" window always shows the default file icon for the file type, not the custom-generated preview icon. Looks the same with every icns file on my system, as well as PDFs or anything else with previews in Finder. Quicklooking the file should show it, and it can also be opened in Preview to see all of the different sizes available.

Are you actually having a problem with this file? If so, what's not working?

3. Jelite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry i should have explained better, the issue is when i try to change certain icons doing the get info copy/paste method i just end up with that generic icns icon.

Edit: I think i know where im going wrong, i need an rsrc file not icns.

4. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

You got it!

Some Icns files you download already are setup to work, but if you make one yourself it may show up just like that. Even system icns files don't show in the "Get info" window.

Download a program called "icns2rsrc" and it will convert it for you.

5. Jelite thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was using candybar as well so initially must have confused that with the files working manually then i noticed the preview icon set i d/l had a different file in it.

Anyway problem solved thanks for the help.

[​IMG]

And there are the icons