iColor Wrap - any experiences/feedback?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by fender57, Jul 19, 2010.

1. fender57 macrumors 6502

Anybody purchase the iColor Wrap for their iPhone 4? If so, how does it look? Does it help with the antenna issue? Any feedback on the product would be welcomed.

http://www.icolorwrap.com/colors.html

2. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

So basically, this is just like a sticker or tape that you wrap around the iPhone:confused: Maybe I'll just do a homemade version with my electric tape:p:p:p

3. fender57 thread starter macrumors 6502

Basically, a kit of two pieces of color tape, already die-cut for the docking holes, speakers, buttons, etc.

4. Showtime3 macrumors member

5. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Many people have bought these on here. Search for "lucky labs" which is one of many companies selling these on Etsy. :)

6. fender57 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I saw the lucky labs ones, even answered on one of those, but I think the iColor is different that it comes in one piece.

7. Pared macrumors 65816

LOL It's a sticker.

8. BlueGummiBear macrumors 6502a

BlueGummiBear

9. swllnvag macrumors member

Can anyone vouch for their effectiveness? I like the feel of the naked phone and I'd really like to find out if these work or not.

10. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

I just ordered these before but I will have to wait up to a week until I get them in the uk.

Once I get them I will give you my review on them.
    The reason why I got these is they cover the antenna over not like the lucky labs which leave a gap between the antenna.

I think they might insulate the antenna better than the luckylabs!!

11. bluer101 macrumors regular

Cool, I can't wait for your review. I'm thinking of ordering the clear if it helps. I want to lose the bumper for a while. I like the way these are one decal to wrap the whole thing not 3 pieces. Also they have the front clear protector used to install the sticker which will help keep the sticker from streching when you install.

12. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

I ordered two clear ones myself and I'm looking forward to applying them. I've just got to wait for them now :eek:

13. nicodisto macrumors newbie

I'm very interested in reviews/comments from buyers of the iColor Wrap.

I tested duct tape and laying my Bodyguardz side protectors on top of each other (they separate right at the antenna gap so I had them overlap), but that doesn't change anything to the antenna issue.

14. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

15. Sgt93 macrumors 6502a

Sgt93

16. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

How thick are they? Will they fit with a bumper or case?
    If they are removed, do they leave a sticky residue?

17. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Not sure about the bumper i don't have one, and yes they are easy to peel off if you wanted too without leaving residue behind.

18. Hennesie2000 macrumors 68000

I have the Lucky Labs set installed on my phone... I dont know if it was your installation or the decal but the Lucky labs set lines up much better with the cutouts. I have matte black on my phone and it looks really good. I put clear on my wife's phone and you can't tell that it is there at all.

I think the lucky labs set might be easier to install because it is three pieces and might be a bit easier to control. I have a case coming in the mail for mine so I cant say if they work well with any case yet but I would assume so because they are about as thick as a 20lb piece of paper. My wife has a body glove slider case on her phone and it worked fine... the case was a tight fit though.

19. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Yeah it did not line up perfectly but i got it on as best i could. I got a clear one also and i may use that in a couple of weeks if i decide to take the red off.

20. Hennesie2000 macrumors 68000

One nice thing about the Lucky Labs being 3 pieces is that you can redo parts of it if they aren't perfect... I was even able to peel off and redo a piece without having to use a new one, I just had to be careful not to stretch the vinyl.

21. nicodisto macrumors newbie

And does anyone of you see a change in the signal drop / antenna issue with their protector ?

22. robotphood macrumors 6502a

+1

23. businesssuit macrumors newbie

No it really doesn't help with the signal problem!!

I purchased this product in hopes that it would help with the signal problem.

And it doesn't its very thin and weak be careful adjusting it or you will stretch it out of shape and it won't fit on the precut holes of the phone anymore.

It does make the phone look great, it does provide some protection. I did drop mine in the parking lot at work and was worried the sides would be damaged, but it wasn't.

The icolor wrap itself was scuffed up and damaged but when I removed it the sides of the phone were fine.

Now for the signal issue. I did the death grip and held the phone in my hand normally and the lost the signal completely. I always sit on the couch near a window in order to get a signal.

So this product doesn't work and it’s just for looks. I did receive my free iphone bumper which has helped things dramatically.

24. reebs macrumors 6502

reebs

Did that case you got fit over the lucky labs? Just looking for a nice clear one.

25. nicodisto macrumors newbie

Thanks for your answer.

I just received a free Apple Bumper (here in France), and it fits well with my bodyguardz film protectors (front, back and sides) as well as with the mirror protector I have on the back (which is itself put on top of the bodyguardz and thicker than the bodyguardz). This just means that the bumper fits even with thick film protectors.

I have also removed the Bumper and all film protectors are still well in place.
    And yes, the Bumper really solves the antenna problem...