Icon change once application is hidden?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mattachoo, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Mattachoo macrumors newbie

Recently, my laptop was stolen and I just received my new one today. On my old one, I had an program installed, I think it was in the preferences actually, that made it so when I "hid" an application, the corresponding application icon in the Dock would dim; its opacity would lower. This way, you knew that application was currently hiding.

I can't remember the name of the program that I used to get this desired effect. Anyone else know of the program I am talking about or of another program that can achieve the same effect? Thanks

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

3. Mattachoo thread starter macrumors newbie

The Terminal fix worked, thank you. I don't understand why some of these features aren't available to edit in the Preferences Pane. No reason why we should have to do these work-arounds for it.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Apple may not consider some of these "hidden" features to be ready for prime time, or didn't feel they could add the settings for them to the interface in a way they liked. The Terminal commands aren't really work-arounds, they're just a different interface than you're use to. The preference files can also be opened in property list editor for a more graphical experience. An app you may like though, is TinkerTool, which was built to get at some of these more elusive settings.