Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rik.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
This question relates to OS X Mavericks.

Are there any programmes like 'Candy Bar' that can be used to change the icon, such as the folder icons and the icons in the Dock, like the Finder icon?

I'd be grateful for your reply.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
You can change app icons by right clicking and choosing 'Get Info'. Just select the icon that shows up and 'paste' the new icon in.

Rik.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Thanks for the replies, everyone.
But, I was looking for a programme that allows you to do that.

I think I've found one that's also free.
It's called 'LiteIcon'.

It seems to work for me on Mavricks.
I found that I had to do a restart before the changes took effect.

Also, the programmer of LiteIcon says that he will probably be updating it for Mavrick in the future.:)

xspicer89x

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2013
customizing icons in Mavericks

Hey so I hope this helps. As mentioned in earlier posts, any of the dock icons can be changed by simply opening up the "get info" option and cmd-v pasting the new icon that you have searched for and desire on the old stock icon in the top left hand corner (obviously first you have to open your new desired icon in preview, then cmd-a to select, cmd-c to copy). Also, as mentioned, to revert back to the original simply cmd-x cut the new icon and the old will reappear.

Now for finder its a bit trickier. You will notice that the sidebar icons cannot be changed, even if you try the same tactics mentioned above (your custom icon does indeed replace the original if your looking through your finder files in the finder window, but it doesnt show this change in the sidebar icons of the finder because of how the sidebar icons work--some script stuff i dont understand lol).

However, you can install "SideEffects" at http://macmatrix.blogspot.ca/p/sideeffects.html

SideEffects is a simple install-and-go script and has been updated to support mavericks. It will change your monochromatic sidebar icons to "colourful" icons. Some of these can be customized through the tactics mentioned above (ex. the Dropbox and Copy cloudfolders, and any of your personal folders). However the stock apple sidebar options (ex "documents", "movies", "downloads") can't be changed from their newly colourful form.

But don't despair, cause there is a simple work around (as you may have noticed). All you have to do is create a personal subfolder within the stock apple sidebar folders and customize the icon for that folder (ex instead of having the stock music sidebar icon, go to your itunes media folder and find the folder with all your music, customize that icon using the tactics above and then drag that folder to your sidebar...and remove the stock music folder from the sidebar). Just remember that if you do it for your downloads folder you have to change the location of your downloads (ex create a subfolder in downloads called "my downloads, and use this as the location of your downloads). The same goes for your pictures or movies or whatever you choose to replace.

I've included a screenshot to show some of this clearly.

Hope this helps, figured i'd go into some detail since i was looking for this same answer not even a week ago.

Cheers

Attachments

• Screen_Shot_2013-10-30_at_4.07.18_AM.png
    Screen_Shot_2013-10-30_at_4.07.18_AM.png
    432.1 KB · Views: 412
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.