Icon changing w/o CandyBar

Discussion in 'macOS' started by creator2456, Sep 30, 2007.

1. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

For almost every icon I can do the copy/paste method of changing the icon which I am fine with. This does not work with Finder, System Prefs, or the Trash (probably Dashboard too but didn't try).

I am just wondering if there is a way to do it without CandyBar?

Since those are the only icons I would need the program for, it doesn't justify the cost.

2. Visualize macrumors newbie

Visualize

The Finder icon needs to be changed 3 places. First inside Finder.app in System/Library/CoreServices/ and Dock.app the same place. You should also look into the CoreTypes.bundle in the CoreServices folder. The Trash icon should be changed there and also in Dock.app. The reason for this is that the Dock icon would otherwise appear as the standard icon in the Empty Trash dialog and other places, like PathFinder's -Trash on the desktop- ability. Also, if you want to the altered Finder icon to appear in About This Mac, you have to change the Finder icon in CoreTypes.bundle.

ShapeShifter by Unsanity patches these icons live when needed. I've used it because I didn't want to mess around with the CoreServices folder. But really, as long as you replace the files with others that has the same sizes(where PNG's are needed) and names the files correctly(extension/filetype), there will be no problems.

Just remember to repair permissions because I think the system needs these files to have the correct permissions. Even though they are just icons.

In the case of System Preferences you just have to highlight the icon in the Get Info window and press the Delete key. the new icon should appear. You could also change the permissions for System Preferences while you are changing the icon inside the app itself and then set the permissions back. The Dashboard can be changed with CandyBar in the "System" pane. It might be somewhere else too.

Have a look around. If you're brave enough ;)

If you need further instructions, just ask :)

3. kostia macrumors regular

Unless Panic have changed it (and perhaps they have), the free/unregistered version of CandyBar can change your empty Trash, full Trash, Finder, and Dashboard icons to your heart's content.

4. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

liteicon.app

liteicon.app

its free,.. and very easy to use.