Icon Composer Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SanFranOwl, Jan 30, 2008.

1. SanFranOwl macrumors newbie

I've been attempting to use Icon Composer with Leopard, but have not been able to produce a proper icon to use for a folder.

I make a 512x512 image in photoshop, and drag that photo into Icon Composer, and have it make copies for all of the other sizes. All of the vector masks it creates seem to match my icon.

I export my icon and get an .icns file, but when I attempt to copy the file and then paste it on the icon in the "get info" screen, all I see is the generic icon for a .icns file.

Any ideas what to do? Am I missing a step?

Thanks,

Andrew

2. Bakkalohriat Guest

Bakkalohriat

I'm not familiar with using that program, but assuming you've gotten the .icns file, the rest of the process is quite simple. Open the file using Preview, then select the largest picture from the sidebar. Click in the main image viewing window, then press :apple:+A to select the entire image. Press :apple:+C to copy. In Finder, use :apple:+I to get the info for the icon you want to replace, then click on the small icon in the top left corner of the info box (most of the time you will see a blue border around the icon you are about to replace after clicking). Finally, pressing :apple:+V should insert your new image as the icon.

Let me know if you understand what I was trying to say and if it works for you, it's a little hard to explain.

3. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

I found Icon Composer didn't work for me at all so I went to img2icns which works great. Create the icon you want as a PNG and then drag and drop it into img2icns and then it creates the .icn file on the Desktop.

4. SanFranOwl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply,

I had been essentially doing what you said before, and I tried following your steps exactly, but still no luck. I'm guessing there is something wrong with my files (I am able to use icons I've downloaded from interfaceLift w/ no problem).

I've posted my files on the website linked below, so if somebody could look at them and see if they can find the problem, I'd be forever grateful.

Thanks,

Andrew

Edit:
    Problem Solved, Thanks

5. SanFranOwl thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

7. fertapia macrumors newbie

Hello!

I'm having the same problem? how did u do it?
    Would u help me :confused:
    Regards :)