Desktop Icon Customisation Sierra

Discussion in 'UI Customization' started by DMoggo, Dec 8, 2016.

1. DMoggo macrumors regular

Hi all,

I'm looking to change the icons from standard on Sierra on new MacBook Pro. I understand you now have to disable SIP and then enable after changing them.

Is it a bad idea to change them, does it cause any system problems? Just after some input as some of the icons look really dated now.

If anyone has done it and can comment that would be great, also recommend some good flat/round icon sets also if possible.

Many thanks.

2. jcfsw macrumors member

jcfsw

You can use LiteIcon

And for bubble or circle icons go to Deviant Art you have a lot of that

3. mildocjr macrumors 65816

TBH it's probably more work than it's worth, not sure if you disable SIP, replace the icons, and re-enable if SIP will complain and replace them, if so you end up with less security to have what you want.

4. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

OP, you can change the icons by disabling SIP as you mentioned and then using LiteIcon as jcfsw said. Keep in mind that app updates will change the icons back, but just re-enabling SIP will not. And you don't need to disable SIP to change 3rd party app icons.

Also, note that it is not recommended (at least by LiteIcon) to change drive icons on Sierra, as this can lead to instabilities.

5. DMoggo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all your replies, changed them and they look much better, to me at least.