icon file replacement

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by agentmikeyd, Aug 9, 2011.

1. agentmikeyd macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.1.15738/25.697; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

I just want to replace a few icons, not use winterboard or entire themes. Is it possible to locate the original icon file, rename it, and paste in the replacement in the original name to do this?

This is what i did in my WinMo days...

Thanks for any guidance

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Yes. For default apps this is fine. However for App Store apps, everytime you update an app, you'll need to go back and change the icon for that app again.

3. agentmikeyd thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.1.15738/25.697; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Thanks. Can u point me to where i can find the original files?

4. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Yes, but...every time you update the app, you'll have to do it all over again. I did it with biteSMS for a few months, but I definitely wouldn't do it with more than a few apps.

The Cydia app AppInfo will help you locate the icons for most AppStore apps. For Cydia apps, look under /var/stash/Applications for the app whose icon you want to replace. Most icons start with some variation of "icon" in the name, but not all of them. The name of the new icon must EXACTLY match the original; watch for capitalization issues. And it's strongly suggested that you rename the original, not delete it.

5. agentmikeyd thread starter macrumors member

Thank u Vixen. Can u give me an example- i found the camera app folder in ifile. Which .png files would be replaced? Also do u have a cool camera .png i can try? Thanks again

6. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

All of the default app folders are located in
    Root/Applications/...

All of the App Store app folders are located in
    User/Applications/...

Virtually all of the default app icons are named icon@2x.png or Icon@2x.png.

Most of the App Store/Cydia icons are named in the same fashion as the default app icons. There are a couple weird ones like the AIM (AIM_free_app_icon_57@2x.png) app and iFile (iPhoneAppIcon@2x.png).

As for some icons, there's a pretty big thread here with lots of random icons.

EDIT: For the camera icon, you need to replace the Icon@2x.png. You'll need to be careful when naming icons since some have a capital I and others a lowercase i. It does make a difference.

7. augustborn99 macrumors regular

is it safe to clean up "bundles folder"?

im thinking about putting winterboard on a crash diet is it safe to remove unused bundles per them? is it worth the effort cleaning it up? those are a lot of images taking up room

8. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Up to you really. Not sure what, if any, speed benefits there would be for removing unused bundles although the less bundles to be loaded, i would assume less issues with that, I guess. Makes sense that if you're not using any particular bundles then deleting them would help free up some space on your phone.