Icon files don't have extensions - how am I supposed to edit them?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Verdanice, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Verdanice macrumors regular

Hi,

I've got a gripe with OS X - well, a new gripe to add to the list. I've been downloading and applying new icons for a couple days. Now I'd like to edit one to create a custom icon. I tried opening the icon file in Photoshop, no go. So I checked what extension it was by enabling 'show all file extensions' in the Finder preferences. Sure, all file extensions show up, but none on the icons. I believe they're PNG images, but when i rename them as PNGs Photoshop still can't read them. When I put the fiel on my USB drive to try it on my Windows machine, the file shows up as a 0kb, extension-less file.

What's going on? I'd appreciate any input on this one, I'm sure there's an explanation out there.

Screenshot!

2. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

Zip and upload one of the icons you're having trouble with.

Also, how have you been "applying" them?

3. Verdanice thread starter macrumors regular

I've been applying them both using Candybar and Finder, one at a time obviously. Attached is the zipped icon, good idea.

Attached Files:

4. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

That's not how icons work in OSX.

Get "pic2icon" and "icon2png", they are free programs that either take an icon and make it a PNG file... or take a png file and make it an icon.

Easiest thing in the world. I've made dozens of custom icons this way, and also edited regular ones.

5. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

The extension for the icon you attached is ".icn". To edit it, do what Sean Dempsey said.

6. Verdanice thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, guys, it looks like that'll work - though Icon2PNG seems to export up to 128x128 only. Whatever, I'll deal with that.

I don't understand why 'show all file extensions' doesn't.. well, show all extensions.

Thanks again!