Icon glossy

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by nickculbertson, Aug 24, 2011.

1. nickculbertson macrumors regular

nickculbertson

I had an app hit the store today and in my plist I know I turned off the glossy effect but it showed up with the gloss anyway. I contacted itunesconnect but I'll have to wait at least a week for them to reply. I don't mind the gloss on some apps but it can really suck the resolution out of the image. Has anybody else had this problem lately?

Nick

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Are you running the latest iOS 5 beta? I seem to remember something in the release notes pertaining to this (or was that beta 5?)

3. nickculbertson thread starter macrumors regular

nickculbertson

I'm running xcode 3 and building for 4.2. Perhaps they did change something in the new beta that negates my method for turning the gloss on or off.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It doesn't matter which version of XCode or the target SDK. All that matters with regards to my question is what iOS version the device itself is running

5. nickculbertson thread starter macrumors regular

nickculbertson

No I'm not running the beta. I'm on 4.3 on my ipad and ipod touch. The gloss also shows up in the itunes store on my mac.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Then, unfortunately, I don't have an answer, sorry.

7. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

I don't know the answer but you should be able to inspect an ad-hoc build and the version from the appstore that you can get with a promo code and find the difference. Check the info-plist. Check the icon. etc.

8. nickculbertson thread starter macrumors regular

nickculbertson

I downloaded the app from the store to my device and the gloss goes away once the app is installed. iTunesconnect contacted me getting more info so it is only a matter time. I think this must be a problem with a lot of apps right now. Even the new Angry Birds update seems to now have a gloss. It is not only the gloss, the image appears to not fully be rendered (pixelated).

9. nickculbertson thread starter macrumors regular

nickculbertson

10. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Why does that surprise you?

11. nickculbertson thread starter macrumors regular

nickculbertson

Apps released or updated within the last week or so now show the opposite of the prerendered icon flag. Even apps as big as Angry Birds and Facebook have been effected. It seemed to have stirred up some noise on other forums.

stackoverflow
    gamesalad
    iphonedevsdkl