Icon hassle thanks to OSX Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by cattepus, Oct 31, 2013.

1. cattepus macrumors newbie

I love changing up my dock, and I really don't like the original dock icons. I used to use CandyBar and it worked splendid, but yesterday I updated my OS X to Mavericks. This update removed some of my personalized icons and left some. I did not understand why, but I opened CandyBar to fix it. It would not work.

I did loads of research and started to fix them manually by opening "Get Info" and copy/pasting my icons into the img slot. This worked just fine. But then I wanted to change my Finder icon. Quickly realizing this didn't work the same way I did even more research. I found a lot of information and read how people had managed to fix it, but mine just won't change and I have done just like they did! :(

[​IMG]

If anyone can explain to me really detailed or link me a video I obviously didn't manage to find (and I have searched, trust me), I would be very grateful!!!

2. darngooddesign, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2014

darngooddesign macrumors G3

There are many posts cropping up on different forums that CandyBar has some compatibility issues with 10.9 which means its a software issue, not her intelligence. And since CB is now unsupported there may not be a fix.

The fact that you told her to download CB when her post said she uses CB means you didn't even bother to read her post before saying she's an idiot for not being able to use it correctly.

3. cattepus, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2014

cattepus thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha thanks dude. And batman, you're the idiot bc you obviously didn't read what I had written. But thanks for stating the obvious ;)

4. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

I'm assuming you changed the finder icon file (finder.png or finder@2x.png) in the Resources folder of the Dock app. Did you then run "killall Dock" in Terminal? If you did and that didn't work try typing this in Terminal (without the quotes): "sudo find /private/var/folders/ -name com.apple.dock.iconcache -exec rm {} \;". You'll also have to type in your password. This clears the dock icon cache. Then do another "killall Dock".

5. cattepus thread starter macrumors newbie

Thankyou!! No I didn't try killalldock, I'm kind of icky about using Terminal, considering I don't really know exactly what I am doing in the first place haha, but I will try. The problem though, Yes, I tried to change the finder icon file (finder.png AND finder@2x.png) but it would not work, it just made that "error" sound (you know when you try to click something when an pop-up-box is up and it won't let you click anywhere else than the button on the box? that sound).

And I don't understand why it won't work for me, because according to everyone else it did..

6. N19h7m4r3 macrumors 65816

N19h7m4r3

If you've changed both finder .pngs then you Have to kill the dock in terminal to make it reset.

make sure the new finder icons are named just like the ones you're replacing. When you copy them in, it'll ask if you want to replace the old ones. Click replace, and then it will ask for your pass word.
    Following that you need to use the terminal commas "killall Dock", to reset it.

7. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

Are you trying this from an administrator account? Did you rename the original finder icon files first?

8. Avalon74 macrumors member