Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surfer99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
VA
When I save videos in a folder on my desktop some of them have an icon that is the first frame of the video and others just show the quiktime logo. All the videos are using quicktime as the application so I just dont get it. Does anybody have any ideas as to how to have all the icons as the first frame of the video?

Vader

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2004
Saint Charles, MO
When I save videos in a folder on my desktop some of them have an icon that is the first frame of the video and others just show the quiktime logo. All the videos are using quicktime as the application so I just dont get it. Does anybody have any ideas as to how to have all the icons as the first frame of the video?
Are they different formats? Did you download all the ones with the first frame preview from the same place? Other than that I don't really know why it would preview the first frame on some and not others.

surfer99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
VA
They are all downloaded the same way from the same source (my digital camera).

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Are these all in the same folder? In the View Options (COMMAND-J) you can opt whether to Show Icon Preview. Is this always checked, in every folder? :)

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Are these all in the same folder? In the View Options (COMMAND-J) you can opt whether to Show Icon Preview. Is this always checked, in every folder? :)

Deselecting Icon Preview stops even the QT icon showing. Maybe no poster frame set?

surfer99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
VA
Yes all of these are in the same folder. I tried to post a screen shot of the folder and the folder info but its says that the file is too large.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
You can shrink the screen shot file size by opening it in Preview, selecting Save As and then selecting JPEG in the accompanying drop down list before reducing the quality along the slider. :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Well, by default it should open in Preview, but otherwise you can drag it to the Preview icon in your Applications folder or you can select Open With Preview in the contextual menu when you right click on it.

surfer99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
VA
by default it opens with quicktime and when I right click I have the option to open it with itunes or quicktime. Am I missing something?

surfer99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
VA
Mad Jew....my bad. I got a little confused there. I thought you were talking about the movies and you were talking about the screenshot (only took me about a day to realize that). Well here ya go, I followed your instructions so I can post a screen shot. Hopefully this will help. This is one of those problems thats really just annoying me so much.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 59

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Interesting problem. The only (video) preview I can get in icon view is with avi. Otherwise it's QT icons.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, sorry mate, I've got nothin'. I know some files take longer to get their images up than others. I think larger movies usually exhibit this problem more than smaller ones. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.