Icon in Disk Utility for USB Drive is not changing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LeandrodaFL, Mar 1, 2013.

1. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

I use Candy Bar to personalize my icons. Recently, I decided that I needed better icons in my Disk Utility, cause I have trouble diferenciating the USB from the Firewire Drives, in the default orange like icon. I did the following:

1)Changed the icons for Internal, USB and Firewire HDs.
    2)For each Volume, I gave a exclusive icon

Eveything is working fine, but the icon for one of the drives, the WD My Passport 1TB USB 3.0 is showing a very unique icon. This icon is the default for the drive, created by WD, but I would like it to change to match the other ones, and this is not working. Please note that is the icon for the type of drive, not the volume.

Running MacMini 2010 Snow Leopard. Im providing screenshots of disk utility, as well as the icons in the Candy Bar application

Any ideas why this drive decided to rebel against Candy Bar? How do I fix it?

Attached Files:

2. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

My guess is that CandyBar works by redirecting or replacing the base system icons to the customized ones. The WD drive likely has its own custom icon, which overrides the system icons. If so, it's a fairly simple fix with two potential solutions. Both involve changing the individual drive icon, which is easy to do.

1) Assuming the WD drive has its own custom icon, you simply need to remove it. Select the drive from your desktop and choose Get Info (keyboard shortcut: Command I). You should see the drive icon in three places: very tiny at the top of the window, small at the upper left, and large near the bottom. Click on the small icon at the upper left, and you will see that it becomes outlined lightly. Press delete on your keyboard ("backspace" on Windows keyboards). If there was a customized icon in place, it should now be using the system default (which should be the CandyBar icons in your case).

2) Given your screenshots this seems unlikely, but I'll write it for reference: if the drive did not have a customized icon in place but was not using the system default, then you will want to customize the icon yourself. I assume that CandyBar gives you access to the individual icon files; if it doesn't, you will need to find a way to get to them, download them, or recreate them. From the Finder, click on the icon that you want the drive to take on and copy it (keyboard shortcut: Command C). Now repeat the steps from the first solution, but instead of pressing delete with the drive's icon selected, you are going to paste (keyboard shortcut: Command V). The drive should now have the icon that you chose.

An alternative to finding and copying the icons directly is that you can copy the icon from another drive and then paste it onto your Western Digital drive. Assuming you have another USB drive, open its Get Info panel, select its icon, copy it, then open the Get Info panel for the Western Digital drive and paste it onto the WD's icon.

Hope it helps.

3. LeandrodaFL thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Thanks for replying, but this is not exactly whats wrong with my computer. As you can see in the first screnshot, with is from Disk Utility, the volumes do show the icon I want them to show. Its the icon for the drive, not the volume inside Disk Utility that is rebeling

In the process you described, you can can only change the volumes icons, not the "Drive Type" icon

I am wondering if this has something to due with the case that my Macmini is unware of USB 3.0 (Snow Leopard) and the WD HD is USB 3.0