Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
Seriously, after 5 years, if after iOS 6 I still don't have the choice to put icons where I want on my screen, I'm gonna be pissed.

It sounds like such a simple thing...but because it's so simple, it aggravates me more than many big things people want that would require fundamental changes to iOS.

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
Seriously, after 5 years, if after iOS 6 I still don't have the choice to put icons where I want on my screen, I'm gonna be pissed.

It sounds like such a simple thing...but because it's so simple, it aggravates me more than many big things people want that would require fundamental changes to iOS.

Seriously, I can put icons where I want on my screen.

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
Seriously, I can put icons where I want on my screen.

So, if you only want to have a row of icons across the bottom of one of your pages, you can do that? (you can't, unless you're jailbroken, and that alone is a silly reason to jailbreak)

Aidoneus

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2009
So, if you only want to have a row of icons across the bottom of one of your pages, you can do that? (you can't, unless you're jailbroken, and that alone is a silly reason to jailbreak)

Why would you want to? The current system is fine. The home screen is for launching apps. To place fewer apps on screen is backwards and illogical.

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA

How can you not do this already?

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
Out of everything that could upset you in this world... This is what you're going to be upset about? You must be young.

Renzatic

Suspended
Why would you want to? The current system is fine. The home screen is for launching apps. To place fewer apps on screen is backwards and illogical.

It's not illogical or backwards. People like organizing their stuff in different ways. A screen full of app icons and folders without any breaks might work fine for you, but someone else might like to have a line break or two on his home screen to group specific app types together and make them easier to spot.

sixteen12

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
It's not illogical or backwards. People like organizing their stuff in different ways. A screen full of app icons and folders without any breaks might work fine for you, but someone else might like to have a line break or two on his home screen to group specific app types together and make them easier to spot.

Ah yes...folders.

I see where you're coming from, but its a pretty minor thing IMHO. On Android I group things across the screen, in iOS I put them in related folders near eachother.

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
As I already said, the fact it's such a simple tiny thing that still has never been allowed is what makes it so frustrating to me.

Also, wow, we have some real blinded by Apple folks in here. Come on people. We all love our Apple stuff but something isn't always right just because it's what Apple has given us.

bigsexyy81

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010

Apple will not change the core functionality of the OS that has made them filthy amounts of money for what only a rather small portion of their customer base sees as a need.

If you don't want to play by Apple's rules, you can jailbreak and have some of these things you are unhappy about. If you don't want to jailbreak, then suck it up and quit complaining.

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
Apple will not change the core functionality of the OS that has made them filthy amounts of money for what only a rather small portion of their customer base sees as a need.

If you don't want to play by Apple's rules, you can jailbreak and have some of these things you are unhappy about. If you don't want to jailbreak, then suck it up and quit complaining.

Being able to place an icon where I want on a 4 x 4 grid is core functionality? I thought iOS was more advanced than play-do.

At best this is a minor cosmetic change and even then, it really isn't even that seeing as unless the user grabs and drags icons to spots on said 4 x 4 grid that don't fall into the left -> right / top -> bottom format, it wouldn't even change how the OS looked.

Core functionality, what a joke. Core functionality would be expecting them to, say, add full on multi-tasking replacing their more controlled multi-tasking system. THAT is changing core functionality.

Hell, adding something like Notification Center was a much larger change than letting someone place icons where they want on the screen.

whodareswins

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2011
Being able to place an icon where I want on a 4 x 4 grid is core functionality? I thought iOS was more advanced than play-do.

At best this is a minor cosmetic change and even then, it really isn't even that seeing as unless the user grabs and drags icons to spots on said 4 x 4 grid that don't fall into the left -> right / top -> bottom format, it wouldn't even change how the OS looked.

Core functionality, what a joke. Core functionality would be expecting them to, say, add full on multi-tasking replacing their more controlled multi-tasking system. THAT is changing core functionality.

Hell, adding something like Notification Center was a much larger change than letting someone place icons where they want on the screen.

Couldn't agree with you more. Even if it's just a setting, why won't apple allow even a little more customisability for their OS. It's what consumers want.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Couldn't agree with you more. Even if it's just a setting, why won't apple allow even a little more customisability for their OS. It's what consumers want.
No, its what random one off nerds on an online anonymous messageboards representing .0000001% of iPhone owners want.

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
Really, it just blows my mind that people can be against something like this. OMG, I'M SO HAPPY APPLE DECIDED I DIDN'T NEED TO BE ABLE TO PUT THIS ICON OVER HERE!

I am often called a fanboy because I like Apple so much. I think I need to print this thread out and carry it around to show what true blind fanboyism is.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.

Bro, Tell them.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America

Compare the desktop of Mac OS X 10.1 and 10.8, they haven't really changed much. And I think Apple is going to continue this method but we should see some UI changes, albeit nothing drastic.

bigsexyy81

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Really, it just blows my mind that people can be against something like this. OMG, I'M SO HAPPY APPLE DECIDED I DIDN'T NEED TO BE ABLE TO PUT THIS ICON OVER HERE!

I am often called a fanboy because I like Apple so much. I think I need to print this thread out and carry it around to show what true blind fanboyism is.
Ugh.

Any jailbreaker would agree that something as simple as this should be built in. But that doesn't change the fact that it isn't and that you have a very easy way to accommodate your request (jailbreak, add Gridlock).

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
count me apart of the % that wants this! this is the only reason i jailbroke by phone. i installed a custom set of icons and had 6 icons in the middle (vertically) and no dock.

i like customizing the UI and enjoy an aesthetically pleasing home screen. icons are clutter.. as well as icon names.

when i jailbroke i took of the icon names as well and everything was clean.

even now (with no jailbreak), my homescreen is blank.

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
Ugh.

Any jailbreaker would agree that something as simple as this should be built in. But that doesn't change the fact that it isn't and that you have a very easy way to accommodate your request (jailbreak, add Gridlock).

1. I already tried Jailbreaking and Gridlock as well as a couple other icon alternatives. Gridlock constantly jacked up whatever layout I was making if I got an icon I was moving too close to another one. It would shuffle it over out of the way pushing everything else behind it but wouldn't return it leading me to have to move each individual icon it shuffled away back one space all the while hoping I didn't get too close to something to trigger another shuffle. Face it, very very few jailbreak programs are written as well as iOS. This feature implemented in iOS certainly wouldn't have so much silly **** just because I moved an icon.

2. I shouldn't have to jailbreak, reduce the security of my device, potentially cause problems with warranty (at the very least having to jailbreak anytime I need something from Apple) all just to be able to put an icon on a different square.

3. I also shouldn't have to lag behind on iOS versions just because I want to move an icon.

On all these things I say I shouldn't because it's one of those glaringly obvious and incredibly simple things to add to iOS that I've been surprised since 2.0 that this couldn't be done.

You just keep on drinking the kool-aid and acting like I'm out of line for wanting something in iOS to be different than how Apple handed it to us without having to hack the damn system to do it.

Not everyone likes boring and that's what iOS has become in so many ways. It's an OS that provides a great app ecosystem, stability, efficiency....and zero excitement in any way shape or form anymore because the limit of making it your own is to change the wallpaper and hope all the icons sitting where they want to sit don't block the part of the wallpaper you wanted to show off in the first place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.