Icon Modding: how to remove black icon mattes?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by shaotse, May 18, 2010.

1. shaotse macrumors member

Any one know which file I need make a blank png to replace in the com.apple.springboard folder so I can get rid of these mattes?

Edit:

Got it! (At least until winterboard makes it easy and brainless again :D) Went to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileIcons.framework and deleted all the AppIconOverlay, AppMask, AppShadow, and DefaultAppIcon files (including the 72 versions of course- strangely changing the files to transparencies zapped the icons altogether)

Anyway then go to /var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.IconsCache and delete all those files then respring, you should be good - here's my results, the problem photo is below it - happy modding

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. GinoDotCom macrumors regular

3. pkdoyle macrumors member

If you open the icon png file in Photoshop you will probably see the 1 icon layer locked. If you duplicate that layer you'll have a copy of the image that you can change. Next add a 3rd NEW layer and then move that to the background. Now delete the original locked layer which leaves you with your unlocked icon layer above the blank (white) background. Now select the black border in your icon layer and delete it. You should now see the background showing through around the edge. Lastly, delete the background layer and the (formerly black) area around your icon should look like a gray and white checkered pattern. This means that part is now transparent. Save the png file and you are done.

4. shaotse thread starter macrumors member

from further research its seeming like an .artwork file in the OS that automatically adds icon masks - found the file however I haven't been able to decompile it so I can replace the mask .pngs with transparent files then recompile and replace - any suggestions?

5. Taheen99 macrumors newbie

Sadly I don't have the answer to this but did want to ask if/when you do find out please post here. I know I am eager to do away with them too.

6. shaotse thread starter macrumors member

iphoneshop and artworker 3 are still a no go for the ipad .artwork files- at least to get rid of the shine matte you can insert

<key>UIPrerenderedIcon</key>
    </true>

into the info.plist of any app store icon

7. shaotse thread starter macrumors member

8. shrek4224 macrumors newbie

The dock show layer is in System/Library/Coreservices/Springboard.app

I made it 100% transparent and here it is
    prior to fix:

after fix:

Attached Files:

9. idesign245 macrumors 6502

I can't seem to find this anywhere in that folder, can you be a little more specific or show a screenshot of where you changed the transparency? I'm having the same issue and would love to get rid of these boxes behind the icons in the dock

10. shaotse thread starter macrumors member

I think also the ''remove app icon shadows'' theme that comes with iblank will get rid of them

11. MJZ macrumors newbie

help with same issue.

shrek or anyone else wanna tell what changes exactly were made in the "Springboard.app" folder to revome the black background for custom app icons. Any help would be much appricated. I'm trying to make it look like the 2nd pic on shrek4224's post. Thanks guys.

12. apollo1412 macrumors newbie

i cant find those folders/files in my ipod touch 1g (3.13)