Icon number update on badge, plus reviews on app store?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Peter Franks, May 14, 2014.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Not that long ago, when you had to update an app on the iphone you got a number on the icon home screen to tell you to do so. Now you have to open app to see what needs updating?

Not that long ago, the reviews were in date order and you saw the newest at the top. Now they are literally all over the place, not even oldest first, just a complete and total mess. Are these problems just native to the iPhone app store? This has been like this now for maybe a year, more, I'm not sure.

But..... I am surprised that:

(A) I don't see a lot more people complaining about it, but even more so,
    (B) Why haven't Apple ever rectified either or both of these problems, or
    (C) Am I missing something somewhere and it's just me still, or a UK thing?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

The review thing has been like that for a while and seems to be related to how one of the somewhat recent updates set things up in the App Store. There have been questions and complaints about it in some threads in the past, but it doesn't really get much accomplished unfortunately.

As for a badge on the App Store app telling you about updates, that still works. How often do you open/check the App Store app yourself? Not sure why it's not working for you, but there are a few things you can check to make sure, like Notification Center settings to see that badges are enabled for App Store, and perhaps Automatic Updates setting, in case that might be enabled and apps are being updated automatically on their own when an update comes out, which kind of skips showing the badge to you as I recall.

If none of that seems to do it, then perhaps you can try restarting the phone if not resetting some or even all settings on it.

3. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for this. The review stuff has been like that for maybe a year or more now I think. I've not made any changes to the badge icons etc. I check App Store most days. Auto download is off. I'm sure when I mentioned this before when it first started others had the same problem so assumed it was also another mass one but I'll check those settings now. Thanks again.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, if you check the App Store fairly often then it's possible you'll pick up on the updates before the app is able to even get notification of them--the notification there isn't something truly immediate and can often come once a day or so, so if you already checked the store and updated to any available updates then the badge would often not be present.

5. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

It always was before though. There were 7 updates today and some of them are dated quite a few days prior so I obviously don't check it every day. Maybe once or twice a week then. More often than not there's about 5/7 plus in there that appear all in one hit

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

In that case that's somewhat odd. I check the App Store fairly often so I don't get the badges usually, but on another family member's device (where the App Store doesn't really get much use) I see badges show up almost on a daily basis when updates are available.

So when you go into the App Store and see available updates, like the 7 that were available when you checked today, if you exit the app without updating and go back to the screen where the app icon is do you see a badge then showing you the number of those available updates? At the very least that should work.

7. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Funny you should ask that. No. When I come out without updating there's no number on badge icon. Like there always was years before. V strange

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's more of a strange indicator. Definitely sounds like something isn't right then. Maybe try disabling notification settings for it and then enabling them again, including badges, to see if it might make a difference. And, again, there's always restarting the phone and resetting settings (if not even restoring) that might help out with things of this nature as well.

9. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Was like that on my 4 too which once worked as it should, before switching to 5S but obviously kept same settings. I'll try that and let you know. Thanks