Icon only dock?

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
Sorry to jack the thread, but I have the opposite question. Is there any way to make the icons or the text on the Dock not show up, even when the applications are running? I still want the gray bar to be there, though.

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Yes, I believe you can set that in your preferences, but I'm not in front of my Mac right now. Stupid Windows machine! :eek:

It's probably in your Dock preferences, or in your account prefs

Woof, Woof – Dawg

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
MacDawg said:
Yes, I believe you can set that in your preferences, but I'm not in front of my Mac right now. Stupid Windows machine! :eek:

It's probably in your Dock preferences, or in your account prefs

Woof, Woof – Dawg
That'd be news to me. :p

Anyway, there is one called cleardock and another one, just look on versiontracker.com as suggested. Me personally, I'd stay away from those haxxies as far as I could. Had nothing but troubles with it, messing up my fonts etc. But do as you please.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
After G said:
Sorry to jack the thread, but I have the opposite question. Is there any way to make the icons or the text on the Dock not show up, even when the applications are running? I still want the gray bar to be there, though.
What would the purpose be of a blank grey dock?

(Just trying to understand your request)

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Diatribe said:
That'd be news to me. :p

Anyway, there is one called cleardock and another one, just look on versiontracker.com as suggested. Me personally, I'd stay away from those haxxies as far as I could. Had nothing but troubles with it, messing up my fonts etc. But do as you please.
Yeah, it's only ajustable in 3rd party apps.

I've been using Cleardock and Transparent Dock for a few months now, and both have been fine ('cept a Tiger update broke one... I forget witch).

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Plymouthbreezer said:
Yeah, it's only ajustable in 3rd party apps.

I've been using Cleardock and Transparent Dock for a few months now, and both have been fine ('cept a Tiger update broke one... I forget witch).
I guess I was just unlucky but it messed up my entire fonts system-wide to the point where only a reinstall helped. That's why I stay clear of those hacks now.

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
BenWakin said:
Is there a way to have only icons and not the grey part of the dock in the dock?
If you want to use an app to make your dock clear I strongly suggest using ClearDock over Transparent Dock. I started with TD and it corrupted my dock completely that I couldn't launch apps and couldn't modify the colours, background etc (had to reinstall from backup, not cool). Now using ClearDock and no problems. ClearDock apparently doesn't change the original system files but runs on top, so it can be more performance heavy than TD, but I haven't noticed it running at all.

Bottom line: ClearDock

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
After G said:
I'm not sure that I understand exactly what you mean, but this is what I'd do:
  1. Take a screenshot of your desktop, and put it into an editor
  2. Where the dock is, select the area and fill it grey
  3. Set this as your desktop picture
  4. Turn 'Automatically Hide/Show Dock' On
Hope this helps

::20ROGERSC::