ICON PREVIEW in Finder don't work for ANY FILE

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NN84, May 2, 2008.

1. NN84 macrumors newbie

I'm having the worst problem with my Leopard since I upgraded. Icon Preview function won't work in Finder for any file, despite the fact, that "Show Icon Preview" is checked in Finder's "View Options". The weird thing is, that icon preview works in my "Downloads" stack, and that Quick Look still works fabulous.

Since I did A LOT of googling, I'm thinking, this is almost certainly somehow connected with my bright idea of installing Microsoft Office 2008 on my MacBook, so I uninstalled it, hoping it would help. U think I should install it again, and update it? That is my last idea, and I don't like it.

In my Library/QuickLook folder are two files:
    • GBQLGenerator.qlgenerator
    • iWork.qlgenerator
    I don't see any process running that I could assume is something connected with Quick Look.

Does anyone have any idea about what can I do? I would sincerely appreciate any help. Thank You.

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Try resetting the PRAM. Restart the Mac and after the chime hold down "Command+Option+P+R" and wait until you hear the chime sound again and then let go of the keys and allow it to boot up.

3. NN84 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry, but this didn't work. Cool trick though. Have no clue where You hear about those uber-shortcuts :)

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Hmm, resetting the PRAM clears memory that's stuck which prevents apps from functioning correctly. Installing MS Office 08 shouldn't create problems like this. Have you tried Permission Repair? Also you can try Repair Disk. To do Repair Disk you have to use the Leopard install disc and click the "Install Mac OS X" icon. When it boots up to the install screen choose Disk Utility from there and the Repair Disk option will be lit up. This cannot be done from Disk Utility in the Finder.
    Repair disk will repair any errors on your Mac OS X partition.

5. NN84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, this didn't help either. Disk Utility says something like Your disk appears to be fine.
    I can't believe that I'm the only one with this problem, at least as far as I know of. I want eye candy!

6. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Sorry, but sometimes the simplest things are overlooked.

With that, in column view in a Finder window, select a file. The next column to the right has the Preview. Is the little triange (next to the word "Preview" at the top of the column pointing to the right or pointing down?. If it is pointing to the right, you have the Preview turned off.

7. NN84 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. NN84 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just noticed another detail. Cover Flow in Finder won't display document preview, just default icons. Attached is my odd Leopard reality.

Attached Files:

9. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Okay, well after a few troubleshooting ideas didn't work then you should simply do an archive and install. This will install a new system folder while retaining your settings and programs.

10. HardHatMack macrumors newbie

I am having exactly the same problem, with no success in finding a fix. Has anyone seen this problem? Anyone have a clue how to fix it?

Thanks

11. HardHatMack macrumors newbie

UPDATE:

Apparently, this was a side effect of having the DropBox client installed. The latest version fixed the issue, so all is back to normal now. If you are having this issue and are using DropBox, upgrade to the latest client.

HHM