icon previews wont show for some mp3 files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mywhitenoise, Apr 5, 2010.

1. mywhitenoise macrumors newbie

For some reason I have about 30 albums (out of around 1000...which isn't too bad of a ratio) that wont show the album art for the icon preview. Instead it shows an image of an old iTunes logo, I can't remember which version of iTunes, but it's the version that has a green note on top of the disc. Is there a way to fix this? Thanks.

I'm running Snow Leopard on a 27" iMac.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Are these files inside your iTunes library, or just sitting on the drive? I ask because iTunes has two different places it can put album art (and other metadata): In the file itself, or in iTunes' internal database.

In the event you add a file to iTunes that for whatever reason doesn't end up with a recent-version meta (ID3) tag, iTunes will automatically put any data you own into iTunes rather than the file, hence when you look at the file directly, no album art. The relevant command to update the ID3 tags to make sure the files have the latest version is "Update ID3 Tags" accessed via the right-click menu. You can just select all on your library and do it to everything to be sure (no reason not to set it to the 2.4 latest version).

I ran into this with a few very old files that I'd added and somehow got in the wrong internal category; I ended up needing to drag them out of iTunes, delete them from my library, and re-add them to get iTunes to treat them the same as everything else; it's possible Apple has fixed this, but at least until recently once a file is in the wrong category internally iTunes refuses to put the metadata into the file itself. You might try that.