icon problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by popnyc, Feb 2, 2008.

1. popnyc macrumors newbie

Not sure how to fix this...a lot of files (html files that I've created with a program called Taco) are showing up as netscape files, and I deleted Netsacape entirely from my computer.
    also.....when I have CDs in, they're not showing a cd icon, but a text file icon.

any ideas! My computer has some kind of icon mix-up problem, is there a setting to fix this?
    :cool:

2. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

CD's show up as .txt files?? Wow, I've never heard of a problem like this before. Is it possible that you accidently set it up to be opened with text editor? Try right clicking on the CD when you put it in and then click on Get Info. Look through there and see if anything is wrong.

Edit: Oops forgot about the first part. For those files that open with Netscape, right click and do the Get Info thing on them too, then change the "Open With:" option to the program you want to open them with.

3. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

The Netscape program isn't the issue, you have assigned those files to that type of program. Thus, all .* will be associated with that program. You need to change the associations.

4. popnyc thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the quick replies.

I fixed the netscape problem, it was set as my default browser.

But with the cd icon appearing as a text file icon, I'm still puzzled.
    When I did get info on the CD, there was no "open with" but there was a preview, which was a text edit icon.

This isn't any serious problem that I should be concerned about, should I? There's got to be a setting to change. Do you think I should reinstall cd-rom software?

5. popnyc thread starter macrumors newbie

I think my whole computer has association problems...just downloaded itunes and it appeared as a MS excel icon...has this happened to anyone else?
    Is there a master setting for the computer? I'm on a powerbook g4.

thanks.