Icon Questions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by barr08, Jul 17, 2007.

1. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

OK, I am giving my dock a going over, using the albook icon set, and I am having 2 problems.

First, I cannot change the system prefs icon, even in candybar.

Second, I use the AOL Instant Messenger client to IM, and whenever I am away or recieve an instant message, the icon changes from whatever icon I set it as back to the default icon with whatever notifier is appropriate. For example, the icon will be what I set it to when I sign on, but when I recieve a message, it will turn into the original AIM icon with the little green alert on it.

Thanks for looking

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Not sure about the System Preferences, but the AIM thing (which, by the way, you should really use Adium instead) is because the icon you changed was the default icon...AIM probably uses a different icon for alerting you when you have a message, and that wasn't an icon you changed.

Short of creating your own icons to match the AlBook set, digging into the apps Resource folder, and changing the icons in question to yours, you'll just have to live with it.

3. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

Yeah, I was hoping you weren't going to say that. While I have a basic understanding of this kind of stuff, I am afraid I would blow up my iMac if I tried to do anything about it.

I have tried switching to Adium like four times, and I just can never stick to it. There are things I do not like about it. Also, I have been using AIM for years and years and years and it is just what I am used to.

4. MiniMan. macrumors regular

i tried switchin to adium but could never do it. But then i got so pressured one day by macrumors to switch so i did. NOW im happy i switched cas adium is good! :)

5. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

Maybe I will give it another shot. I think it is a great app, the customization is awesome. If I do switch, I will not have the icon issue, as there is an albook icon set on the adium site.

That does still leave me with the system prefs problem. Has anyone had success changing their system prefs icon?

6. jcarm24 macrumors regular

jcarm24

I used this article to change mine.

7. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Remember to log out and back in after applying the icons? The System Pref one works for me.