Icon swap

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macbook yes, Jun 5, 2009.

1. macbook yes macrumors 6502

I want to spiff up my dock icons and i've downloaded a few icons, but I don't know how to replace some of them. I know you can buy candybar, but I'd rather try it free because I don't think it's worth that much to me just to switch icons. I know that you can right click and get info to replace them, but what about the trash and other files like that where you can't get info?

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Most of the system icons are in /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources, eg /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/TrashIcon.icns

You can open Terminal and type:
    Code:
    open /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/TrashIcon.icns

Preview will open showing all the various sized Trash icons.

Yes, you can replace these with your own icons, but if you don't know how to find them I would recommend you either do nothing or use a program to do it.

3. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I would not recommend messing with system file icons like Finder or Trash yourself unless you know what you're doing.

I tried it and Finder's icon never changed, kinda sucked, but was nothing compared to finder later crashing, and forcing me to immediately re-install OS X

then I had the wonderful luck of the update to 10.4.11 corrupting the mac twice in a row. I'm still not fully recovered, but I can't until I get this internal HDD replaced. Don't worry about your HDD though, mine is just a whole other issue I have to deal with