icon that looks like an air vent???

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by texasmccoy, Mar 23, 2012.

1. texasmccoy macrumors member

texasmccoy

Hey all,
    Has anyone else encountered that bizarre little black icon that randomly pops down from the middle of the top edge of the iphone screen? It's only about 1/2" wide and looks like an air vent for an air conditioner... I've never noticed it before upgrading to ios 5. I've figured out that I must be touching the screen a certain way to make it mysteriously appear, but I have no idea what exactly I do to activate it or what its purpose is. It's actually kind of annoying sometimes because it will come down over part of something important in a game I like to play. I've scoured google with every way I could think of to ask about this thing and can find no information. Anyone have any knowledge of this?

2. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

Its the grabber for the notification center if you are in a full screen app. If you pull down to see the notification center in a full screen app you get that grabber, then you pull that down to get the notification center down. It's like that so you don't accidentally open the NC in a game without meaning to.

3. texasmccoy thread starter macrumors member

texasmccoy

Thanks for the info and taking the mystery out of it for me :) Now I just have to learn not to activate it accidentally :p