Icon trouble

Discussion in 'macOS' started by creator2456, Dec 16, 2007.

1. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I know the answer has to be here someplace at MacRumors, but my searching hasn't turned it up.

I have a .psd that I want to make into an icon. I saved it as a .png and it shows in Preview just fine. When I apply it to the app I will be using it for I get a white square background. How do I go about removing this?

2. kostia macrumors regular

The transparency comes from the icon's mask. You need to save the file with transparency (an alpha channel). I use Iconographer to create icons; it's simple but it's familiar to a Photoshop user (lots of the same keyboard shortcuts, etc.) and it creates icon files with masks at all the sizes.

3. illuminous macrumors member

Try img2icns. You can download from the Apple downloads site. This program is great. If you save as a .png, it will keep the transparency when making the icon. And it is as simple as a drag and drop.

4. rhyndu macrumors regular

If you have Leopard, you can open up the icon, select and hold the select icon (a cut out squareish thing) in the toolbar, select instant alpha

From there, you should hover your mouse over the white background click, drag, and follow the onscreen instructions :)