Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prograham

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
New York
Hi,

When looking at any folder in a finder window, if I switch to "icon view" then I do not see the files, although I know they are there because in the status bar it list how many files are in this folder and how much free space is on the disk. Using the slider to change size while in icon view has no effect.

All the other views display the files correctly. Anyone seen this or know a fix? Thanks.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi,

When looking at any folder in a finder window, if I switch to "icon view" then I do not see the files, although I know they are there because in the status bar it list how many files are in this folder and how much free space is on the disk. Using the slider to change size while in icon view has no effect.
Right-click in the white space in the folder and select "Clean Up". I don't like icon view because frequently icons will be outside the window. I prefer to see details.

prograham

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
New York
Oh I don't like icon view either, but I support about 300 people at work so there's bound to be a few that do...

"Clean up" didn't work but thanks for suggestion. The files are all within a normal sized finder window - I verified by trying a folder with only 3 files, selecting "clean up", and then when I use the cursor to draw a selection box within the window I can see in the status bar that 3 files are selected.

So lame. I just imaged this machine a couple weeks ago and I've never seen this. I really wonder wtf people do to their computers even without admin rights.

Any other suggestions out there for a fix? Thanks.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
"Clean up" didn't work but thanks for suggestion. The files are all within a normal sized finder window - I verified by trying a folder with only 3 files, selecting "clean up", and then when I use the cursor to draw a selection box within the window I can see in the status bar that 3 files are selected.
That doesn't sound normal. I would be worried. Is this on a network drive, or a local volume? I would verify it for starters.

You could also try deleting the .DStore file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.