Icon won't show up in dock

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johndavidwright, Oct 6, 2010.

1. johndavidwright macrumors member

I just installed Toast Titanium 10 and when it's open the icon in the dock is blank. the glowing blue dot is there showing that the program is open but the icon doesn't show. when i press command + tab to cycle through my open programs, toast is there, but the icon doesn't show.

Hope that makes sense.

Any ideas?

2. movieboy23 macrumors regular

Is the problem still there after a restart and/or reinstallations of the program?

I might also try verifying/repairing disk permissions and the hard disk as well, though I'm not sure if that's as helpful as uninstalling/reinstalling toast.

Good luck.

3. johndavidwright thread starter macrumors member

It also does the same thing with Terminal and Network Utility and all other applications in the Utilities folder.

4. movieboy23 macrumors regular

Given the new details, it sounds like it may be an OS corruption.

Were you able to verify/repair disk permissions as well as the disk itself? In order to verify/repair the disk itself (which sometimes works to iron out OS corruptions), you need to put your Apple install disk into the machine and boot off of it. To do this, hold down the 'Option' key when you're restarting the machine and choose to boot from the CD. From there, you'll be presented with a screen to reinstall the OS, but you'll just want to select the disc utility icon from the utilities menu at the top of the screen. Verify/repair the disk and see if the problems persist.

If none of these steps (or the ones I mentioned before) seem to work, then you may have to do a clean install of the OS. How old is the machine anyway and when was the last time the OS had a clean install?