Iconless applications in dock

Discussion in 'macOS' started by spearhard, Mar 30, 2010.

1. spearhard macrumors newbie

Hello all - wondering if I could get a little helpful advice... I've searched for this issue here and on google and either it's an unusual problem or I'm using the wrong keywords.

Yesterday icons for applications in my dock started going blank. The applications are still in the dock, and their functionality seems to be entirely unaffected: the icon just disappears (attached image to illustrate). I've since resolved the problem by removing and re-adding the affected applications to the dock after a reboot, but it continues to bother me because I don't know what caused it and I'm worried it could be symptomatic of something else, or it could happen repeatedly.

At the time that it first happened, removing and re-adding the applications did not resolve the problem. A regular reboot also failed to get the icons reappearing, as did resetting PRAM and NVRAM in a subsequent reboot. After the second reboot, removing and re-adding the applications worked.

For the most part, it was irrelevant whether the affected application was open or not: the exception to the rule were applications with dynamic icons, such as Adium, which showed up when the icon changed.

Any clues? Need to know more? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Attached Files:

2. natewsmith macrumors regular

Did you try this?

Choose Go to Folder from the Finder's Go menu, provide ~/Library/Preferences/ as the path, and move the com.apple.dock.plist file to the desktop. Restart and set the Dock up again.

3. dabigone macrumors regular

I just got this problem right after I installed the new iTunes...wtf