icons in application stack not showing?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ChrisSamsa, Oct 27, 2007.

1. ChrisSamsa macrumors member

[​IMG]

I seem to be getting this for any app i downloaded after installing Leopard, including Firefox.. any way to change this?

2. xanatos macrumors regular

am i the only one that hates how it shows icons of all the things on top of eachother?
    Is there a way to change that so it just looks like a box or something?

3. ChrisSamsa thread starter macrumors member

you mean in the dock? it looks like a pile.. instead of maybe.. just a folder?

4. ktrix macrumors newbie

I've also gotten that icon in my download stack. I don't know how to fix the problem however.

Stacks appear to have some major icon problems. For example, if you change the icon for an item in a stack, the stack shows a strange combination of the old and new icons. Give it a try. Make a dummy file in the Downloads or Applications folders, give it a name like "AAA" to make it the first icon, then change the icon two or three times. You'll see what I mean.

And yes, I hate that the stupid AbiWord on my dock just because I want my applications stack to be in alphabetical order -- hence the addition of the dummy files with pretty icons.

5. REBELinBLUE macrumors regular

No you're not, I wish there was a way to set it to use the folder icon.

I also wish you could right click an item and get the finder menu, or a few options like locate in finder.

6. xanatos macrumors regular

yeah it looks like a pile, i thought it was going to look different, i dont want to see my address book on my dock all day long heh.

7. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

That circle over the App means it's not compatible with Leopard. You can TRY and use it, but there's a 99% chance that it's buggy, and 50% chance it won't even open. Just so you know. You'll just have to wait for an update from the developer. (And with FireFox that can take a LONG time...)

8. lopoz macrumors regular

I get the icon with the pencil, ruler & brush without the circle over it, what does that mean?

[edit] after a reboot, the icon turns to the normal program icon..

9. ChrisSamsa thread starter macrumors member

Firefox seems to work fine, as well as Senuti, haven't tried Handbrake yet.. those are my only 3

10. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

That just means that it doesn't have an icon, or it's a glitch. From your edit, I'd say a glitch.

11. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

It's a glitch with stacks.

After installing a program and getting that icon, you simply have to restart the dock, and it will fix itself.

From terminal you can type: killall Dock

A reboot would fix as well.

-Kevin

12. lopoz macrumors regular

It's actually in the Applications window.. It seems to be happening only to low res icons.. strange..

13. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I also had this happen within the Finder window as well, however, simply running the newly installed program fixed it.

The original poster's screenshot looks like it's the Applications folder shown in a stack. Even after running the program, the stack doesn't update.

I even tried adding a folder to the stack to see if that would force a complete refresh....and it didn't.

-Kevin

14. ChrisSamsa thread starter macrumors member

No clue why or how, but all of my icons seem to be working fine in my application stack.