icons in launchpad always shift around?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by tootall, Jan 16, 2012.

1. tootall macrumors regular

I have App Icons and Folders in alphabetical order (just the way I like it) in launchpad and then the following day, they all are out of order, almost random.

I know I am being anal, but I hate wasting time looking for things... how come they always shift around? It reminds me of when I used to sync my dock with MobileMe :mad:

2. The Economist macrumors 6502

The Economist

I still don't know what causes this, it's probably just another bug in Lion. Things like this remind me of how much I dislike Lion but I already spent my money on it. Anyway, the only solution I've found is to delete all the apps from Luanchpad via a Terminal command:

sqlite3 ~/Library/Application\ Support/Dock/*.db "DELETE from apps; DELETE from groups WHERE title<>''; DELETE from items WHERE rowid>2;"; Killall Dock

After you've done this, you'll have to manually add your applications by dropping them on the Launchpad icon on the dock. This is not a permanent solution, the bug will eventually appear again.

3. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

It is. I certainly hope this is going to be fixed in 10.7.3 . The only reason I use Launchpad at all, is because I can (or at least should be able to) expect icons to be at a certain position, making it very fast if you already know where you'll have to click.

4. tootall thread starter macrumors regular

Ditto! If I have to search for the icon, might as well go to the application folder

5. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

How the hell did Apple not manage to fix this for 10.7.3. Incredible... :rolleyes: