Icons missing from applications folder on Dock

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macbell10, Jun 18, 2011.

1. macbell10, Jun 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2011

macbell10 macrumors newbie

I have searched the Forum for a thread containing the information but to no avail.
    I accidentally dropped my Applications Folder to the Desktop.Went into Finder and had the Applications Folder replaced on the Dock but now when I open the Applications Folder from the Dock it goes to Finder and there is the list.Previously when opened it would display the icons.
    How do I get it back?
    Thanks.
    Pete.

2. psxguru macrumors 6502a

If you right click on the icon in the dock, what is the view content setting set to?

3. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

You should just be able to open a Finder window and go to "Macintosh HD" or whatever your drive is called. Drag the Applications folder from there to the right side of your Dock, it should create a stack.

4. macbell10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Applications Folder Missing Icons

My view options are set at "show icon preview" But I did go to Finder and dragged the Applications from my HD to the dock and now it's working fine.
    Thanks for the suggestions and quick replies.
    Pete.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can't move a folder from the Dock to the Desktop. As soon as you move it away from the Dock, it disappears, since all Dock items are only aliases. If your Applications folder (not an alias) is on your Desktop instead of under Macintosh HD, it's because you moved it there from Finder, not the Dock. If that's the case, simply drag the Applications folder from the Desktop to your Macintosh HD icon on the Desktop.

Restoring Folders to the Dock

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I suspect that's what the OP means.

This is the part I don't understand ^ , especially the "instead of..." clause. It goes to where?