Icons not proper size

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Thungon, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Thungon, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013

Thungon macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm running Snow leopard, and occasionally my icons change sizes to something extremely small and impossible to see (Image below). The picture sizes of each file is 16x16pixels in size, so the images themselves are super small. In Finder, they appear mixed though, and while some are seeable to me, others are that tiny dot on my screen I can't make sense of without the file name below.

I believe it changes size into the small thing when I go through and save it with photoshop, though since every image you see also was edited through photoshop, I can't make sense as to why it does it or how to fix it.

It's not an issue of Finder view settings. In the image I have it showing and the icon size is 60 x 60, and you can see that all the images are the same size as well. They both scale up and down as normal, but again in that weird Im-ten-sizes-too-small manner.

Anyways, I haven't found a solution and hoping for a little help! If you have any related questions that I haven't addressed, I'll try to respond with something more detailed. Thanks!

[​IMG]

EDIT (11/27/13 20:35 PST): I took a closer look at the differences in the images, and for some reason the file size for the normal icons is about 4kb, while the small ones are about 41kb. Seems consistent through all the ones I have.

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

But this shouldn't be happening. I suppose one of the solutions that didn't work was deleting the Finder's plist file. Unfortunately, that would be my only guess at a possible solution. Hope you get it sorted.

3. Thungon thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going to assume the other poster was an auto-spammer, but I did look up how to delete preferences as you suggested, following the instructions here. Unfortunately, it didn't work though, so still looking for an answer.

4. Thungon, Dec 13, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013

Thungon thread starter macrumors newbie

Managed to find a solution that isn't what I feel is the best, but gets the job done. Want to share my results in case others come looking.

Anyways, I noticed that the .png files for the smaller icons were about 10x bigger than the normal icons. 'Get info' showed some strange color profiles that were not present on the normal icons, so it was definitely photoshop messing something up.

Googled "png file size to big" or the like and found a thread (http://forums.adobe.com/message/5551324) where their issue was different, but solved by saving the Png in photoshop with "Save to web" instead of "Save as". Thought I'd give it a try, and both the file size is not 10x larger than it should be and the icon is back to normal!

Anyways, even though I found a solution, I don't really know what the problem was and it leaves me slightly uneasy as well as elated. But the issue is solved.. for now at any rate.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well, a solution is better than knowing what was wrong. Good detective work, and thoughtful of you to post the work around.