Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuyGun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2023
I'm on a M1 Max MBP running Monterey 12.6.3 and suddenly the icons for my plug in drives and partitioned drives are not showing in the finder sidebar but showing in finder itself.

Anyone know what may be causing this and how to solve it?

Screenshot 2023-03-19 at 21.30.08.jpg

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
It's most likely BetterZip or Keka or perhaps any of the cloud syncing services.. in my case it was always BetterZip that was and still is the culprit - Look in System Preferences for Extensions and then Finder Extensions

Also, if you're using TotalFinder then take a look at what ever it does to the sidebar..

But more than likely it's BetterZip (if installed at all on your Mac)

Screen Shot 2023-03-21 at 12.03.03.png

Reactions: Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
It's most likely BetterZip or Keka or perhaps any of the cloud syncing services.. in my case it was always BetterZip that was and still is the culprit - Look in System Preferences for Extensions and then Finder Extensions

Also, if you're using TotalFinder then take a look at what ever it does to the sidebar..

But more than likely it's BetterZip (if installed at all on your Mac)

Sunovagun! I started to post a suggestion to this thread yesterday, then realized my own icons were messed up and I couldn't sort it out. My external HDD that hosts my media library in particular had the "A" icon for the Applications folder, which makes zero sense! Disabling BetterZip's Finder extension and restarting Finder cured it here. It's just bizarre that BZ would change the drive icons in such a manner.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
The author of BetterZip on the 15th of September 2020 wrote this in a reply to me where I asked about an issue with sidebar icons turning into folder icons when these two bottom ones are in fact external disk drives.
1679481350805.png

Hi Allan,

this is probably a general problem of the whole Finder extension system as other extensions experience it too.

The only way to avoid this at the moment is to disable the BetterZip extension. Sorry for not having a real solution the moment, but I’ll keep an eye on this.

— Robert

It hasn't been fixed. I think Keka might be alright acting on the sidebar, but I wouldn't count on it.

BuzzyBumblebee

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2023
The author of BetterZip on the 15th of September 2020 wrote this in a reply to me where I asked about an issue with sidebar icons turning into folder icons when these two bottom ones are in fact external disk drives.
View attachment 2177140

It hasn't been fixed. I think Keka might be alright acting on the sidebar, but I wouldn't count on it.
Hi, I just posted about having the same issue you've got displayed in your sidebar with a solution. TLDR I had to update Keka.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.