Icons/Programs Disappeared

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jparker402, Mar 3, 2017.

1. jparker402 macrumors regular

I have an iPhone 5C running iOS10.1.1. (See that 10.2.1 is available but I have not installed it yet.) Last night I noticed that the bottom row of icons (the non-moveable ones) looked "sparse". On exploration this morning, somehow Mail and Music have disappeared. Have no idea why and little idea about what to do, except I know I at least want Mail back. At this very second I am waiting for my neighbor to take me to the hospital for a procedure on one of my vertebrae, so don't have time to attempt a reload at the moment (if I remember how), but does anyone have any suggestions? On how to fix the problem, and why it happened in the first place?

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Well, first, the bottom row of apps is moveable. They simply remain fixed for accessibility purposes, as users typically place their most used apps there.

From the middle of your home screen, swipe downward to access the search bar and search for mail. Do results appear?

3. jparker402 thread starter macrumors regular

I swiped downward ro access the search bar and entered "mail". That got me an App Store listing, at the top of which is Mail by Apple and an "open" in a rectangular box behind it. Pressing the "open" takes me to the App Store where it looks like I can download Mail (there is a cloud with a down-arrow coming out of it). A little leery about selecting that at the moment list I lose something out of my Mail account. However, I do have Mail on my Macbook Air that is working. What next please?

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Sounds like you somehow deleted the apps you are missing now. Download/install them from the app store and you should be all good to go again.

5. jparker402 thread starter macrumors regular

The friendly people at Apple helped me resolve my problem, as did you folks! Willmtaylor is absolutely right! Somehow I moved my Mail icon into a different page and an upper row; never donned on me to look for it there. The Music icon was just flat gone. Best guess is that I accidentally deleted it as C DM suggested. Reloaded it, and pretty much all back to normal. Even my back! Had a procedure called vertebroplasty yesterday which inflates, stabilizes and seals the bone. Pain is greatly reduced (relief, relief!). The doctor said that the MRI showed what appear to be a number of compression fractures in several vertebrae from years past; no idea why.