Icons sticking to dock after opening them?

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by iModFrenzy, Jun 11, 2018.

1. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

I haven't really seen this be mentioned at all, but if I open a app that isn't in my dock it shows up in a separate area(with a divider line between my docked apps) and I have to physically remove it as if I pressed 'Keep in Dock'

Anyone able to explain this or if it's just a bug?

Thanks!

2. TETENAL macrumors regular

That is the area for "recent applications". It's a feature.

3. dwfaust macrumors 601

dwfaust

It's new to Mojave... turn it on/off in the Dock Preferences tab:

Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 8.38.10 AM.png

4. bookemdano macrumors 65816

They're definitely making the Mac's dock behave more like the iPad dock. Probably a good thing overall, especially since you can disable it if you don't like the "recent apps" feature. I'm sure lots of new users to MacOS (who only know the Launchpad) get confused about how they can pin apps to the dock.

5. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

It’s basically the same way as in Windows 10. Right-click and select pin.

6. iModFrenzy thread starter macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

Oh okay, thanks! It’s been driving me insane constantly yanking apps out cause they’re taking up dock room

Anyone know how long it takes for a recently opened app to disappear though?

7. bookemdano macrumors 65816

lol, yes I know how to do it. I was referring to new Mac users (who have always had the App Store & Launchpad available and aren't necessarily familiar with the ins and outs of the dock and why icons appear and disappear from there). Making recently-used apps stick onto the dock probably will make the dock more useful to people who didn't know how to pin apps there.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 11, 2018 ---
    I haven't installed Mojave yet but it's possible it won't disappear per se, but would be replaced by apps you open more recently/more frequently than that one. You could test that theory by opening up a few other apps repeatedly and see if the current apps showing up there get replaced by the new ones.

8. dwfaust macrumors 601

dwfaust

I don't. I find it quite annoying, and turned the option off. Just turned it back on for the screenshot to show the setting.

9. TETENAL macrumors regular

It's showing the last three most recent apps for me, but that might depend on the screen size and/or the number of permanently docked apps.

10. Jehr macrumors newbie

Jehr

--- Post Merged, Dec 16, 2018 ---
    It's great to know this annoying "feature" can be turned off in Mojave but can it also be turned off on the iPad where it is equally a pain?