Icons Stuck to desktop in SnowLeopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BKN, Sep 29, 2012.

1. BKN macrumors newbie

Using a MacBook Pro 17". The icons can be drug from their spot but will spring back when released.

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Right mouse click on your Desktop and select Show View Options. Is the pop-down for Arrange by set to Snap to Grid?

3. BKN thread starter macrumors newbie

Icons Stuck to desktop in SnowLeopard

Arrange is set to none. I've tried changing it to no avail. I've run Drive Genius to no Avail. I've reinstalled Snow Leopard to no avail. Getting frustrated!

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

You could try creating a new user account and see if the problem persists, if it doesn't then it's something in your current account.

5. BKN thread starter macrumors newbie

Good Call

Okay, that worked. They aren't stuck in the new account. What does that tell me? How should I proceed?

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

In Finder go to your Home folder (Directory), select the Desktop folder and press Command + I to Get Info on it, at the bottom of the General section is the box next to Locked checked, if so un-check it and your problem will hopefully be fixed.

7. BKN thread starter macrumors newbie

Good idea but unfortunately it was not locked. Do you have another thought?

8. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Okay, Get Info on the Desktop folder again and see what it has under the Sharing & Permissions section.

9. BKN thread starter macrumors newbie

(Everyone) is set to : No Access
    (My admin account) is set to : Read & Write

10. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Okay, that's the way it should be. What kind of files are the Icons for?

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The most common cause of this kind of issue (icons not sticking, sticking when you do not want them to, or wrong icons being displayed), if it's limited to one folder, is a corrupted view settings file, called .DS_Store, in the folder in question. Deleting it and relaunching the Finder (via the Force Quit dialog, for example) usually clears this up - but it also has the side effect of resetting view options for that folder to the defaults, whatever those are currently set to.