Icons "stuck"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mkrad, Dec 13, 2008.

1. mkrad macrumors member

I cannot drag any icons by any means, mouse, keyboard or otherwise.

Is there some setting I accidentally activated that "tacks" everything down?

This obviously causes problems for installing any new software that employs a click-hold-drag install. Also, I cannot manipulate any photos, documents, etc. for simple movement to folders (Save as... still works, tho).

MK

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

3. eji macrumors 6502

eji

Yeah, this is something I often encounter after running VMware Fusion. It's a Finder bug. A restart will clear it up.

I keep hoping it'll get fixed in the next Leopard update. And then the next, and then the next...

4. mkrad thread starter macrumors member

No go...

Multiple restarts, starting in safe mode, using different I/O devices (trackpad, bluetooth, USB mice) tried to no avail... I should add, this happened on a Nov '08 MacBook 13" following application of latest 1.3 and SMC firmware updates. I have called apple support got to tier 2, and they kicked it up to engineering. I have an external bootable backup and when I option-boot to that drive, the click-drag works fine.

Support has given me the old "might have to archive and reinstall" business, but I am holding out for a simpler solution, as that would require about a day's worth of other software reinstalls.

5. eji macrumors 6502

eji

I just re-checked this thread after the "stuck icon" bug hit me again –– and Fusion hadn't been run in days.

Sorry to hear that it's more serious than a restart, mkrad. Even though I hadn't run fusion, a restart cleared it up again for me.

Here's hoping 10.5.6 will solve it once and for all!