icons will drag but won't drop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sunja, Jan 29, 2012.

1. sunja macrumors newbie

HELP!
    for some reason I can click and drag an icon/file but I can't drop it. I have to press esc then click and even then the icon just goes back to its original position. I have tried switching it on/off - have checked system preferences to no avail :( I am running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 :confused::(

----------

oddly enough I can drag and drop windows

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. sunja thread starter macrumors newbie

pretty much anywhere - I can't move files around on my desktop, I can't drag files between folders or even from my dock. In word I can highlight words etc but when i try and drop them in another part of the document they won't drop

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm not sure if "I have tried switching it on/off" means you've restarted your computer, but if not, I would recommend doing that first. If restarting your computer doesn't help, try repairing permissions.

5. sunja thread starter macrumors newbie

It's kind of like what I have clicked on is stuck to the cursor, with a ghost of the icon on it - but it won't let me put it down

----------

yep - tried restarting, turning on and off - I have checked system preferences (trackpad & universal access too)

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

7. sunja thread starter macrumors newbie

ok - so ran disk verification and got

Error: This disk needs to be repaired. Start up your computer with another disk (such as your Mac OS X installation disc), and then use Disk Utility to repair this disk.

I will give this a try - fingers crossed!!

Thanks!

8. sunja thread starter macrumors newbie

haven't had a chance to try the disk fix BUT it's working now - not sure why - but i'm not complaining! Thanks for your help!!

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Glad you got it sorted out!