Icons

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ahiggins1984, Mar 27, 2010.

1. ahiggins1984 macrumors newbie

I am new to mac and would like to know if it is possible
    to remove icons off the toolbar at the bottom???

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're talking about your Dock, which is at the bottom, just drag any icon off the Dock and let go.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/ - text

http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/ - videos

http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/ - text

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343-keyboard - shortcuts

The following is taken from the thread titled "How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience" created by mad jew in 2006. It contains more elaborate information on the short extracts I took from it and should help you in finding appropriate help. I also made some additions after finding that thread.

1. Search for threads or guides containing similar problems.
      MRoogle is quite a good tool to search these forums.
    2. Start your thread in the appropriate forum or sub-forum.
      Here is the forum's main page with the list of all the sub-fora found here.
    3. Use a specific thread title.
      "Need help!!!!???? ASAP!!!" and its variants are not specific.
    4. Find and post machine hardware and software configurations.
      You can find out more about your Mac by going to the Menu Bar > :apple: > About This Mac > More Info ... (this button opens Applications / Utilities / System Profiler) > Hardware Overview.
    5. Tell us your problem, and be specific. What is happening to your machine?
      What Mac OS X version and what Mac do you use, ... .
    6. How long has this been happening? What changes were made just before this started?
    7. What have you already tried?
    8. Respond to all posted advice with details of what happened.
    9. Be wary of the (very) occasional bad advice.
    10. Be patient.
    11. Be courteous.

4. ahiggins1984 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ive just tried that and the icon just goes back to the dock...is there a setting to change?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If the icon has a light under it, it means that app is open. Any open app will appear on the Dock and you can't remove those while they're open. What exactly are you trying to remove? And why?

After looking at your other threads, including one where spinnerlys responded those links, it appears you need to spend some time learning the basics of how to use your new Mac. If you follow the links spinnerlys showed you, you will find answers to many of your basic questions.

Here's some other info that should prove helpful:

Apple resources:
    MRoogle for searching the forums with Google (always a good idea before posting new questions)
    How to set up a quick right-click search of the MR forums.

MacRumors resources:

You can find lists of essential applications in these threads:
    More apps on these sites:

If you search the forums and don't find what you're looking for, just ask! There's lots of friendly help here! Enjoy your new Mac!

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If the icon bounces back, it probably has a small "glowing light" on the bottom, indicating it is still running.

And GGJstudios, my links are formatted much nicer. ;)
    And you have FindOutHow twice in your standard package for newcomers, maybe to emphasize the importance, but I don't think so (if I'd do that...).

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Thanks! I didn't see that duplication. And yes, your links are pretty! You win!

8. ahiggins1984 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys! I just wanted to tidy the desktop as theres quite a few icons on the dock.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's normal for the Dock to have several icons on it, especially if you have multiple apps running simultaneously.
    Picture 7.jpg

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Ahhh, thanks. :p
    I should make them more simpler though, like this:

http://www.microsoft.com

So there is more actual active handing involved instead of passive clicking.