icontrol or auto3g??

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bw1128, Nov 3, 2010.

?

what do you prefer to save battery life???

1. iControl

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Auto3g

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. neither, i can turn them off myself if needed

8 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. bw1128 macrumors 6502a

which do you like better? im just worried about the time it takes for 3g to come back on.

2. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

SBSettings is quick and easy so there's really no need to buy a $5 or $6 app.

3. DSchwartz88 macrumors 6502

^^^^ well thats not a very useful response....

I just bought iControl and personally I love it. It seems to have somewhat slowed down my phone a bit, but the battery life implications are amazing.

My phone will usually make it to 30%-50% battery by the end of the day once I plug it in. With iControl enabled (3G off when is WiFi on, or when phone is locked) I now consistently have around 70% battery left over at the end of the day (and I have never missed a call, email, text, anything).

I will say one bad thing about it though. If you do turn off 3G when the phone is locked, and you lock the phone while in a data app (such as e-mail), when you open the phone back up into that application there is a 1-2 second delay in 3G actually becoming active so you sometimes get a whole mess of "cellular data could not be activated alerts".

As for Auto3G, when I used it, it didn't work, so I cant say much about it

4. jazzplr macrumors newbie

P.o.s.

After I installed iControl I was noticing slowness on my 3gs so I opened the iPhone Configuration Utility and saw this on the console this every 3 seconds:

Tue Nov 2 09:02:33 ************* SpringBoard[1303] <Warning>: iControl: Reading preferences
    Tue Nov 2 09:02:33 ************* SpringBoard[1303] <Warning>: iControl: Loading CoreTelephony from Frameworks
    Tue Nov 2 09:02:33 ************* SpringBoard[1303] <Warning>: iControl: Calling low level OS function to switch to Data on
    Tue Nov 2 09:02:33 ************* SpringBoard[1303] <Warning>: iControl: Calling low level OS function to switch to 3G
    Tue Nov 2 09:02:33 ************* SpringBoard[1303] <Warning>: iControl: Closing CoreTelephony handle
    Tue Nov 2 09:02:33 ************* SpringBoard[1303] <Warning>: iControl: Loading CoreTelephony from Frameworks
    Tue Nov 2 09:02:33 ************* SpringBoard[1303] <Warning>: iControl: Closing CoreTelephony handle

Even after it is turned off it does this every 3 seconds:

Tue Nov 2 09:06:00 ***************** SpringBoard[1303] <Warning>: iControl: Reading preferences
    Tue Nov 2 09:06:01 ***************** SpringBoard[1303] <Warning>: iControl: Reading preferences
    Tue Nov 2 09:06:03 ***************** SpringBoard[1303] <Warning>: iControl: Reading preferences

Needless to say, I uninstalled this due to the poorly written code.

5. OngL macrumors member

If you do it once a day, but Auto3G or iControl does it every time... So it does save some hand gesture - less risk to Repetitive Strain Injuries.

I'm quite disappointed Auto3G has less features than iControl e.g. no need to switch over 3G when Wifi is on, as data will use WiFi anyway. Seems like an app that hit and miss after enough sales collected.

6. self macrumors regular

I just tried this on Auto3G and it's doing the same thing. I get the idea that iControl is almost an exact copy of Auto3G, and presumably doesn't work, just like Auto3G.

7. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Not a lot of love for iControl here :) This app saves me alot of grief but after I upgraded to 4.2 iControl sends me in to safe mode when activated - anyone else having problems w/ this?