iControlPad turns your iPhone into (nearly) a PSP

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jcde7ago, Aug 25, 2008.

1. jcde7ago macrumors 6502

jcde7ago

Via Engadget:

Quake first-person shooter running on a Jailbroken iPhone
    [​IMG]

iControlPad concept photo:

[​IMG]

You can read the full article here, from TouchArcade:

http://toucharcade.com/2008/08/25/iphone-gaming-control-pads-in-the-works/

Looks awesome, especially if we get a lot of developers supporting this. Really opens up the iPhone's potential to compete in the handheld game devices market. :)

2. jah921123 macrumors member

Yeah, this looks really awesome. It would really give game developers a ton of options for bringing games to the iPhone. The accelerometer is great and all, but nothing beats a d-pad and buttons L :)

I emailed the developer of the device and they said they hope to be taking orders within the next week or so. Looks promising!

3. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

For jailbroken devices it'll be great, but It'll be a paperweight if you buy it and don't jailbreak.

4. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

why?

5. Bendy Walker macrumors regular

Bendy Walker

Hopefully Apple will release an official addon like this and then the range of games for the iPhone can really expand. It'll essentially be a DS with only one screen BUT an accelerometer. And of course better graphics. Hehe.

6. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

it wouldnt stop devs from making games for the device though? it doesnt need to be apple branded

7. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

the iPhone will never be a Psp. The current assortment of games are medicre to put it mildly.

8. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

[/QUOTE]The current assortment of games are medicre to put it mildly.[/QUOTE]

what does one have to do with the other?

9. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

As far as I'm aware, The SDK doesn't allow for an app to utilize the dock connector - which would be needed to allow an app to make use of the iControlPad's buttons.
    So, only jailbroken devices would make use of it - which would be great for emulators etc, but if I wanted a device that big, I'd get a PSP(which I have btw).

10. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

This reminds me, I read a post here once where somebody said that the iPhone is better at gaming than the PSP. That is complete BS. Even if the iPhone had real buttons it still couldn't compare graphics wise.

11. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

12. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Well, theoretically, the iPhone has better graphics...Apple has always been known underclocking their hardware.

13. wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

Thats true, but I dont think over/underclocking has and effect on making the graphics any better! They may run faster, but not necessarily look better!

14. richg916 macrumors regular

It is a phone... if you want a PSP.. buy a PSP

15. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

it's also a mobile computing device. i think stuff like this is cool, and hope that apple eventually adds official dock access to the SDK. there'd be all kinds of cool possibilities.

no, it's not a PSP, but with a controller like that it'd still be pretty freakin' cool for games.

16. icewing macrumors 6502

Start and Select buttons?

From the photos, it makes me think that the Start and Select buttons will be frequently pressed by accident by one's palms/thick muscle at base of thumb. Your thoughts?

17. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

hmmm, i bet you might be right.

i wonder if it would help if they were recessed or something...

18. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

Not for the price we pay for them...$10 for a game thats in my opinion close to DS quality is worth it.

I mean you get what you pay for, with the psp, i pay like 30-40 bucks for a game, because there better quality then the 10 dollar games on the iPhone.