ICQ doesn't work with iChat anymore

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zacman, Nov 16, 2010.

1. zacman macrumors 6502a

Hi!

Since 2 days ICQ doesn't work together with iChat anymore. All I get is the prompt for entering the password. Password is correct and ICQ still works with Adium or ICQ2GO. iChat probably stopped working after I installed the latest security patch for MacOS Leopard.

Deleting the ICQ account in iChat and adding it again doesn't work. Neither does deleting the AIM.plist or changing the server to login.icq.com like it was suggested at the Apple discussion board.

Any other hints or anyone with a similar problem?

Thanks!

2. energie2510 macrumors newbie

Hi!
    I've got the same problem described as you. I've also tested it with other programs like Adium or Proteus and they also won't work.
    I've no idea why but what I know is that when I try to log into my icq account on www.icq.com, it works flawlessly and this makes me wonder why the hell it will not work at any app.

Maybe it is because of the 10.6.5, it is pretty much the only guess I have right now.

3. zacman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks to twitter I found a solution for the problem.

The problem is that login.oscar.aol.com has been shutdown and needs to be replaced with login.icq.com.

However as I wrote changing it to login.icq.com didn't work for me.

Here is the solution:

Instead of login.icq.com enter 64.12.202.116 in the account preferences and turn on SSL. Try to login. The login won't work. Then go back to the account preferences and turn off SSL (string will change automatically to login.icq.com).

Now logging into ICQ will work again with iChat! Wohoo :)

4. SABOND21 Guest

SABOND21

Sorry, but solution above does not work for me (Lion 10.7.3)