Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
For my MacBook, i have considered getting an iCurve. On Apple's weviste, I read reviews of the iCurve, and many people told stories about their PowerBook's melting the plastic thingies, resulting in the PowerBook gliding off. Now, I'm not interested in advice for PB's, but for MB's.

Anyone who has a MacBook or MacBook Pro and an iCurve, would you please specify your experience with it, not only concerning the iCurve getting soft from the heat, but also general benefits or bad stuff. I have for example heard, that having a laptop elevated on an iCurve, will result in better cooling possibilities, and therefore the fan being less active. I have currently no problems with mooing or constant fans, but please, tell me about your experiences with MacBooks and MacBook Pros and iCurves.:)

fatties

macrumors regular
May 21, 2006
my mb is not mooing either, defo doesnt melt the plastic thingys... i think your computer have to get pretty hot to melt something!

its great, just be careful to keep the window close if there is like gale force wind outside. yesterday it felt like the mb was rather precariously balanced on it (but it was SO windy that the windows were really rattling and it was difficult to close the window.)

i love the i curve, your computer seems to float in the air and it is really good for my posture!

oh on fan cooling etc.- its very whiry (i can't spell that word) when its on my bed, sort of on a desk and not on the icurve, so i'd say it does help it stay icy cool!

Josias

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
Thanks fatties, I think someone's headed for an iCurve. I just don't know about KB and Mouse? I already have a Mighty Mouse, and I'm really satisfied with it. Is it annoying having to use a wired mouse on the right side of a computer with the USB ports on the left side, when it is on an iCurve? I'd really like an Apple BT keyboard, but I have a very limited budget. Is it even possible to use the MB keyboard, when it is on an iCurve?

Josias

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
w_parietti22 said:
My MBP is fine on mine. But an external keyboard is a nescesity. Just get a wired one for now and you can upgrade to wireless eventually.

No! That will mean I will have to spend even more money. I definiantly want to get an Apple Keyboard, but are they any good? I tried them briefly once at an Apple Store, but nothing else. I really want the BT Apple Keyboard, but also, how often do you have to exchange the batteries?

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Josias said:
No! That will mean I will have to spend even more money.

When you buy an iCurve, you will burn money on keyboard, mice and maybe extension cords. I type on the iCurve many times and its okay but to some people, it is a pain.

fatties

macrumors regular
May 21, 2006
i have the logitech wireless keyboard and mouse. no, its not apple, its not bt, but it sure is cheaper than apple's keyboard and mouse set (coz face it, if you get the bt keyboard, you will be v tempted to get a mouse!) i think its about 30-40% cheaper.

oh and the main point for me, is that the mouse has 4 way scroll wheel and 2 buttons... unfortunately many of the buttons doesn't seem to work on my mb- basically everything but the sound buttons... i assume this has to be a intel thing... or may be they'll come out with a patch soon!

re other peoples comments:
the kitchen board is good, but i doubt its going to improve your posture, which is the main thing for me... it works out more expensive if you fit in weekly oseopathy to straighten out your extremely bent back...

typing on icurve is ok i think. but i am sorry... that just aint going to work if you are going to type up papers and stuff! so no key board is ok if your typing load is low...

dansgil

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Josias said:
No! That will mean I will have to spend even more money. I definiantly want to get an Apple Keyboard, but are they any good? I tried them briefly once at an Apple Store, but nothing else. I really want the BT Apple Keyboard, but also, how often do you have to exchange the batteries?

I bought my Apple Wireless Keyboard late July 2005, and I just recently had to replace the batteries.

Apple includes Energizer E2 batteries which seem to last a very long time. However, if using this keyboard with a MacBook, it will reduce the battery life quite a bit while having Bluetooth on. Just make sure the MacBook is plugged in when possible.

If you want a wireless mouse, I recommend the Logitech MX1000. It is by far the best mouse I have ever used.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
I've been happily using an iCurve with a PB for more than a year, and I'm using a wired mouse with the Apple wireless keyboard. Using a wired mouse isn't a problem for me, and the wireless keyboard has been great (driver updates a long time ago cleared up connection and lag issues, and you can use the keyboard for gaming, etc., without being able to distinguish it from a wired keyboard).

Also, I replace the keyboard batteries about once every 3-4 months, and that's leaving it on all the time (usually because I forget to turn the keyboard off). Although, I think I'll be turning the keyboard off more often now that my new kitten seems to enjoy typing... :eek:

Josias

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
Allright, so the iCurve is good, and so is the Apple wireless keyboard. There are yet tow questions remaining:
1. Betterylife of Apple BT Keyboard?
2. Will it be a problem using a Mighty Mouse on the right side of the iCurve, when the USB ports are located on the left side of the MB. I know there was a guy talking about using a wired mouse with his PB on an iCurve, but the PB's (except the 12") had USB ports on both sides, so what about the MB?:D

BTW, thankyou for all the good answers. ;-)

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Battery life of the Apple BT keyboard is discussed in the post above ;)

Also, I've got a 12" PB, so the USB port is opposite the side on which I use the mouse.

However, I should point out that I'm not using the Mighty Mouse, and the cord of the Logitech mouse I'm using is longer than that of the Mighty Mouse. This might be where you run into a bit of a snag, since the Mighty Mouse cord (my partner uses one with her iBook) is short. It'll reach, but just barely. Here you could always by a USB extension cord, but you'll have to look around to find one that's flexible enough to use with a mouse. Incidentally, my Logitech mouse came with an USB extension cord of the sort that you'd need, so they are available.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
Allright thanks, I really want an iCurve + Apple BT Keyboard now, but I just gotta try it in an Apple Store. I'm going there buy a Mini DVI to DVI adapter there anyway. Why couldn't they just ship with one of them. Then people could choose one of them to ship with the MacBook, and if they need it, buy the other one...:D

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
Just to chime in myself - my MB has been on an iCurve since day one and it seems to work nicely. Can't say if it keeps it cooler but I have had no probs with its temp when lifting it off the iCurve, even after it's been busy.

I have a wired external keyboard and mighty mouse when using it though.

ironic23

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
Have you ever thought about the iLap? I think they work great both on the lap and on the table. Although the ones for the MB won't be out till August i think.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
ironic23 said:
Have you ever thought about the iLap? I think they work great both on the lap and on the table. Although the ones for the MB won't be out till August i think.

I just bought an iLap and I love it! Really comfortable when I'm on the couch or in bed. I prefer the iCurve on my desk, though. It raises the screen to a better height for me, and it's nice to use a regular keyboard and mouse from time to time.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Batteries last me about 7-9 months in my Apple BT keyboard (and I buy cheap batteries). I love it. :)

As a side note, the battery life in the Apple BT Mouse is terrible; I wish I had never bought it. :(

david06

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2006
Is it best to turn the Apple BT mouse/keyboards off every time you're done using the computer, or do they go into a "sleep mode" automatically?

dansgil

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2005
Vancouver, BC
david06 said:
Is it best to turn the Apple BT mouse/keyboards off every time you're done using the computer, or do they go into a "sleep mode" automatically?

I found that when not using the keyboard for a very long time (a few days) it is best to turn it off. Otherwise, leave it on, it goes into a low-power mode. Doing this, the batteries sin mine lasted 11 months.

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
I have been using an iCurve with my old iBook and now with my MacBook Pro. Never had any problems whatsoever. The iCurve is a great addition for a regular desk and elevates your notebook nicely.

I also use a Apple Pro keyboard and like people said before the batteries really last for at least 6 months. However the keyboard takes 4x AA Batteries. i really like the keyboard now. I took me some time to get used to it even though it's a full sized keyboard it feels more compact then keyboards from other manufacturers.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
I changed my mind! Now I want an ACD! That will completely [assault] my bank account, and I don't need it! But they're so cool!:D

Anyways, though many people have been positive both to iCurve's and Apple BT keyboard, I decieded just to stick with my MB, since it doesn't moo, whine, baaah or anything else!:p

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2005
iCurve excellent stand for a MB or a MBP i own both and 2 iCruves, one for home on for office and they work out great.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
I now decided to get a Samsung 205BW, hail brikeh:cool:
It's soooo cool, and 40% the price of a 20" ACD. It is also a 20" widescreen, and has both DVI and VGA in, so I can conect both Xbox 360 and MB...:cool:

I don't think I'll get an iCurve, but definiantly a wireless Apple Keyboard...:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.